CCW after few beers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ClayCow, May 3, 2015.

1. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Potted meat doesn't kill people. Dangerous minorities kill people.

2. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'll just leave this here:
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/index.aspx

Start with Chapter 527 for criminal acts regarding firearms. The other laws concerning guns and weapons can be found in chapter 237. Most criminal laws are in the 500's, with traffic, DUI, and drugs being chapters 189, 189A, and 218A respectively. Chapter 150 is fish and wildlife stuff.

Maybe someone should sticky this link, since there's always a question about a statute being posed. Plus, you can link to the KAR's, as well.

I'll also throw out an observation, for what it's worth. There's a number of sworn officers who frequent the forum, and at least one criminal defense attorney that I've personally met. I wonder why none of them have both er ed answering....

3. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    I have a ccw permit and dont mind if my name is on the books. They already have my DNA and my whole medical history along with social.

I didnt realize it was only a misdemeanor, i figured it to be a felony

Well that brings up the point that in justified SD shootings in the state of kentucky, you cannot be sued. And judging by both our research, nothing in the books says you cannot drink and shoot therefore drinkingshould not void a justified SD.

All i really have to say is go UK or go Cards depending on the judge and im sure id be exonerated in this state : )

4. Really?????

How can you even look yourself in the mirror posting this crappola?????

CRIMINALS of all races kill/maim/wound innocents DA....

Stop trying to paint a rosy pic for any of them.

AND BTW even the law is presumed innocent until proven guilty.....

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

What I told you was what my lawyer told me. And there are wrongful death cases where the SD was sued. But please don't take my word for it, go ahead and drink and carry all the guns you want. we will just wait for the news.

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I'm an attorney. I don't deal with personal injury cases but there are oodles of lawsuits involving SD shootings.

You shoot someone, the plaintiff's bar will be sending ad letters to the families of the deservedly and recently ventilated. Statute or not. Based on the circumstances, a suit may be likely. If you have been drinking, just expect it...and it would make life a lot harder on your attorney. As a rule, win or lose, you make life hard on your defense attorney, he or she is getting paid quite a bit to try to save your hide.

Life is all about choices. You choose to carry, I recommend not drinking that night.. its like the negative lottery.

7. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Again. What i am telling you is justified SD. Not any SD, unless that is what you meant but omitted.

8. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Were these declared justified SD where the SD person was cleared of any wrongdoing?

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Yep. Cleared of any criminal wrongdoing and civil suits are not mutually exclusive. Just look at how often LEO's get sued for a justified shooting. Bad guys or their families never have to have a good case to file a suit. Just eager representation. The joy of personal injury. You still have to pay to defend yourself from utter bs cases, though. And judges tend to punt on motions to dismiss in favor of allowing cases to be decided on the merits even when the facts seem cut and dry to reasonable minds. Which means you can be stuck in the muck barring settlement. And make no mistake settlements are the goal on these..especially when there is insurance coverage.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  10. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks wprebeck statute 527.020 (9), and 527.020 (10) were the ones I was referring too.

Statute 527.020 (9) clarifies that it's not a crime to conceal carry in your own home without a permit.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Why not get a bigger dog? So you won't be so sceard to walk ! Or take you wife along to handle any trouble. l

12. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    I already have one dog, and to have another dog or just a bigger dog for protection would mean id have to train it to defend itself against other dogs and people. A double edged sword.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Not sure if there were any beers involved or not but this thread was unfortunately very timely. When things hopefully pass over for the homeowner involved in a home invasion shooting this past weekend I might be able to comment first hand on the legal system's resulting multiple contacts with him. Scary stuff.

14. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Ill have to google what youre talking about. As bad as it is for the people jnvolved, id like to see analysis and a case study.

15. ClayCow

ClayCow Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Unfortunately there are too many home invasion cases. Can you link to what youre speaking of?