Caught a poacher... now what?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by DEERMD, Nov 7, 2010.

1. littleindian

littleindian BBBC Members

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    I know you want to be good neighbors and all but that will not solve the problem. You can plant whatever but they will find a way around it. If you caught them in you house what would you do? I try to be good neighbors but I recently called CO on them for shining lights in my field. The CO paid a visit and they came and apologized. The next time I will prosecute and told them so. Poaching is stealing. I am tired of it and not putting up with it anymore. Get your CO's number and put it on your cell. Let him know what's going on. Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. Give'em an inch and they will take a mile.

2. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    UPDATE:

talked to my CO. He asked me what I wanted him to do, go talk to him, charge him for trespassing, or what. Was very friendly with me and professional. After talking to him, he agreed to ride up through my area quite a bit for the next few weeks and see if he sees anything goin on, and if anything that will cut back on people doing stupid stuff at least for deer season. But if he does anything else, Im taking it to the next step, and will press charges. He made my worries a lot better, and I feel a lot better about it.

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I understand your side and not wanting to cause a stink with the neighbors. I know it's a lot easier for someone to type on a computer that you need to "grow a pair" then it is to actually deal with the situation in person.

That said, I think you gave this guy a pass to do it again and again. Had it just been hearsay, I would think you did the right thing, but being as how you actually caught the guy on your land, that changes the game. His excuse is not a reasonable excuse. He should not be on your land no matter what, and now he knows he's in no real danger of getting into trouble and probably feels he can talk himself out of anything with you.

If it were me, I would definitely call the CO back and tell him you would prefer that he speak with the neighbor. I would want the neighbor to at least know that both you and the CO know what actually went down and that the gig is up. He is never to step foot on your land again for ANY reason without permission. Next time he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent and that you are taking extra measures to protect your land. That SHOULD make him think twice and he will at least know what to expect should he be caught.

Land is not cheap and time is priceless. I'm sure you probably spend a great deal of time and money in hopes of bagging a nice deer there. You have to push back when dishonest slobs disrespect you or they will continue to do so. If this guy is known for poaching like you say, that's a little scary. Plus he's using a high powered rifle out of season on your land, that should be a much bigger concern then possible ruffling some feathers.

4. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Invite the CO over for a few guest hunts with you.;) Let the neighbor know he'll be hunting your place.

5. just wanted to introduce myself as bob.. as in bobcat.. if you need help getting rid of some turkeys then i am your guy LOL..