Catfish in Ponds

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Tman6493, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Have a buddy who owns a 2.5 acre pond in louisville. Used to be a pay lake prolly 15-20+ years ago. I have caught a bunch of bass in it.

my question is can you guarantee it has catfish in it. Do all farm ponds/ponds of that size hold all fish. Only reason I’m asking is he said he’s never caught one and I’ve fished it twice and not got a nibble on the cat pole.

I personally would think on a pond that size it has to have cats in it. I thought channels could live in almost anything.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I suck at betting, but i'd bet there's cats in there. Pay lakes stocked a lot of catfish.
    Put some jugs out.

jblack1 likes this.
  3. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Hell, run a trot line.

4. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe there's no where for them to breed...? My uncle has a pond definitely large enough to catfish and it used to, but he couldn't get them to breed.

Tman6493 likes this.
  5. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    This is what we have been worried about. My uncles pond is a quarter of the size and has never been stocked but still has cats were catching in. So we’re giving this new pond a few more try’s before we give up

6. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’ve never heard of a paylake for anything other than catfish

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Try using a live bait on the bottom, if he hasn’t been feeding them they may have gotten used to feeding on live bream and such

Winchester94 likes this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    My 1 acre pond had no catfish. I stocked 30 fingerlings in (albino) and have never caught any cats but albino and they do not breed. With that said fingerling cats are not very expensive put in 50-100. They grow fast 7-8lbs in 5 years.

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Most ponds they won't spawn in due to lack of suitable holes. Add some rip rap and old concrete culverts and large brush.

Most paylakes don't have that so you won't get hung up. Paylake doesn't care if they can spawn either.

Stock the pond if you want catfish. Make sure it has stuff in there for them to eat first though. Minnows and bluegill. Then add catfish and bass (though you said it had those already) the next year.

How deep? You might have dissolved O2 problems in summer and may have had a fish kill in the past.

Grago likes this.
  10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    i never tried to bass fish at a pay-lake. maybe i missed out. :)
    the biggest cats i caught, were at ceder creek pay lake. [this is a pay lake story] i had to throw them back, lake rules. when they ran though, was, in a spot on the lake, and you could catch a bunch, on pizza even, i just wanted to see what the cats would hit on, i think once they got started, i could have baited my hook with grass, it was a feeding frenzy. you wernt supposed to be hogged, when ya got the sweet spot. they let one guy do it, musta had ties to the lake. :rolleyes:

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

50 cents each from the fish truck that comes to Rural King for channel about 3 to 4 inches long.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Don't buy them too small or they may become food for the bass.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I have caught a few since I put a bunch in my buddy's pond. They had grown to 8 to 9 inches in just a couple years and have pot belly's. Now if they grew that much since they should be around a foot or more. I would be more worried about a couple Otters that were seen there about a month ago than the bass.

Winchester94 likes this.