Catching turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by drakeshooter, Jan 8, 2021.

1. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’ve been doing that for years. Catch and release.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well Ill be, he got it. I would have thought that jake would have flogged hell out of him

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  3. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I bought a jake that had been raised in a barn. It didn`t have enough sense to fly up in a tree before dark so I`d catch it and put it up in one (had a stand built for bow practice with stairs going up to the platform). As long as his feet was on the ground he was hard to handle, reallyyyy strong legs but if I just grabbed him and snatched him up off the ground he wouldn`t much more than try to move. He didn`t last long, 1st night I didn`t make it home in time to put him up a neighbor`s dog got him.

4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    That’s cool.
    I’ve tail fanned gobblers in but close as I let them get is 8 yards and shot them. Never tried to grab them. Lol.
    Good thing it was a jake. :D

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. I thought same immediately. The very first gob I ever killed I snatched up by the legs like that and got a bloody palm for my effort when he went to kicking and flapping.

Feedman likes this.
  6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Yes Sir, Them dang spurs hurt when they go to floppin

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Yeah when you snatch one up you better have a heck of a grip on them legs and they can still give ya a black eye from the wings! When I was guiding had a pick up a Merriams he shot and the first flap gave him a heck of a shiner! Lucky that wing tip didn't put his eye out! Imaging having to go home and explain the black eye to the wife. He was from back east and a drinker. I'm betting she didn't believe to much of the story! lol

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  8. Totally off topic but your post reminded me of my buddy’s self-guided Merriam’s hunt in the Black Hills. He said he started off with the easy, quiet calling like we do mostly around here with just soft clucks and purrs with an occasional series of soft yelps with no luck. He said when he finally started sawing down yelping and cutting like an idiot the birds started coming in from every direction. He limited out quickly.

mudhole crossing, gung and Feedman like this.
  9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Definitely out west a boat paddle box is super handy when your not hearing birds. Sometimes they can't hear you for wind or distance and the boat paddle you can get pretty loud on. I called birds in out there that I swear I'd see em on a hillside 1/4 mile away, hammer the box and even had some run/fly to get to us. But I had my share of chessmatches with them too.

drakeshooter likes this.