Catch and release connundrum

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kyhunter99, Jul 29, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Depends on the species. This article centers around trout and walleye. Catfish are tough, bass are good as long as not mishandled or gut hooked, i wont trout fish unless i intend to keep. They are pretty fragile. If i only catch 1 i give it to another fisherman on my walk out to help them get a mess or a limit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    aceoky likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Bass are pretty hearty. Unless they are caught in very deep water in the Summer months, they will survive unless gut hooked. That's about all I care about. The rest should be kept and eaten, in my opinion. If not fit for consumption, who cares?

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

One reason I fish very little in warm months. Seems a lot of fish die after being hooked and landed in the ponds I fish. And cold water fish just taste better to me.

5. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Stripers are another species that have trouble in hot weather

carnivore likes this.
  6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    carnivore likes this.
  7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    In my personal experience, trout are pretty fragile, and you cant have them out of the water long at all and have them survive. Bass vary widely IMO. I've caught probably 50-60 bass this summer alone, and as in a previous thread, transported some back home. Seems the bigger the fish, the less they can be out of the water. Most of the bass I've caught this year were in the 12-18 inch range. Some are super feisty, and go nuts as soon as they feel water again, and some are very lethargic, even after a short fight. One I brought home, was in the makeshift livewell in the truck with two other fish, all the same size, 16-18 inches, and all put in there within 15 minutes of each other. Two of them were very alive and perky, while the third was lethargic from the start. I'm sure it survived, but stayed on the surface of the backyard pond for most of the day slowly swimming. The other two took off as soon as I put them in the water. Don't know what the difference would be.

A lot of the bass I've caught have clearly been caught before. Couple had hooks in them, and a few had holes in their mouth somewhere. Clearly they survived the first encounter. One lake I fish with a lot of bass is public bank fishing, and I'm sure a lot of bass get caught, but I've never seen any floating. Maybe the critters get to them first.

aceoky likes this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’m kind of torn on this one. I’m a bass fisherman but I hate tournaments. I fish Paintsville Lake often and catch some good ones but immediately release them. There’s a ton of tournaments on Paintsville and all the other lakes I’m sure. At Paintsville, all the fish caught are dumped back in the lake at the ramp. To me, this man made redistribution of bigger fish has to have an effect on the fishery and the fishing. I also don’t like the cull tags that many use that punch holes in the bass’s mouth. That can’t be good for the fish.

9. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Today I worked my improving catch and release skills on a decent sized male bluegill.
    Brought him in easy, kept him in the water, wet my hand, avoided the eyes, and sent him on his way.
    I feel better about handling them with tact than 'just handling them' like i did before.
    Im a big catch and release fisherman for the most part. So its important to me to up my game for the sake of the fish.

10. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I flyfish for trout a lot. Ive released thousands. Id doubt any ( or very very few) of them are dead from mishandling. I m fishing cold water. Not fishing stocked ponds that are seasonal trout stocked, and I suspect the freshly stocked hatchery fish in a marginal temperature pond is more likely to die when released. One thing about handling trout is that they are susceptible to skin issues and disease if they are grabbed by a dry hand. And also important not to squeeze the daylight out of them when removing hooks. I have caught plenty of fish with a hand print on the fish from someones prior release, and often there is a fungus along parts of that and print. Try not to take a trout out of the water and be sure the net is wet if you net one. A trout caught on bait and gill or gut hooked is not likely to die if the line is clipped and hook left in place and the fish is released and not bleeding profusely. I have caught and released many trout with mono line hanging out their anal port from a swallowed hook and line. If you catch a trout and it appears stunned when you release it, hold it upright in a swimming position for a few seconds and it should regain its breathing and swim off . On very large fish and a longer fight or landing time I sometimes spend five minutes holding the fish until it regains its normal breathing and swims upright . 2 cents

aceoky and KYBOY like this.