Cast iron pan reverse seared ribeye

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by drakeshooter, Jan 10, 2020.

1. I had the slaughterhouse slice me off a 2” ribeye that I seasoned up good and cooked on a rack in a 275 degree oven to 135 internal then seared a minute or two in a red hot cast iron skillet. Man it was good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So what’s the purpose of the reverse sear on a steak? Asking because I don’t know. To me, you would want to sear first to try and seal in juices. Is that not the case?

3. No, not the case at all. It’s the most tender, perfectly cooked steak ever. If you have a couple hours it’s even better at 225 or less. The key here is to cook the entire piece of meat slowly so most of it is same temp instead of a strip of pink in middle and varying levels of doneness you get with traditional fast cooking. See how perfectly cooked the same that steak is from center to edge? It’s like cooking prime rib and searing at end.

jblack1 and barney like this.
  4. Tankt

Tankt Fawn

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Same concept as sous vide, no?

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Pretty much. I think sous vide is a more controlled cooking process. The inside joke is people say "boiled steak". The water bath should never touch the meat, tho'...

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  6. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Looks good to me. I musta missed the invitation...:(

Munson and drakeshooter like this.
  7. If you turned your oven down to lowest setting, like 170 it would be a lot more like a sous vide, I just didn’t want to wait hours and hours plus I get a satisfactory result at 250-275 in a little over an hour. The purpose and end result are identical, cooking the entire steak from center to edge to the same level of perfect, juicy doneness.

jblack1 and JR in KY like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'd reckon!

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Meat looks tasty,but the old butcher knife ,catches my eye, looks to have been sharpened several times

10. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    If he's cutting steak on a piece of cast iron, it'll need it...;)

11. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Thats a fine looking steak.

I have that knife model, it was my Dad's and he wore it out , or fine tuned it like the pictured one. Dad was knife sharpening fool . All my family knew to warn everyone in the kitchen if Dad had been at the house , his or theirs, more than a few hours. He could not tolerate a dull knife , whether it was his or not. So the unwarned might slice a finger pretty quick if they were reckless with one of his edges after he had been around.

jblack1 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  12. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Looks really good except for one thing, the spices! I like my steaks grilled with nothing added even salt, can't taste the true flavor of the fat and meat. Wife and I used to go to Logan's Roadhouse for a nice juicy steak. That was a few years ago, because the last steak we had there was so salty and spicy we couldn't eat it. For me I like mine just like the one you grilled nothing added except a tablespoon of A1 on the side to dip a corner of a bite in! Just talkin' about it makin' me hungry!

13. I could have typed that out myself. My dad would sharpen every knife in the house until it was razor sharp. That’s why that Case boning knife looks like that. I couldn’t sharpen a needle.

14. I can’t imagine eating meat without salt. I use salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. I should probably wait on the pepper until it’s cooked as that’s what the burned spots on the steak are. Pepper burns easily.

JR in KY and EdLongshanks like this.
  15. dam,it looks great.Which reminds me.Im due to hit the scioto ribber for a ribeye in portsmouth ohio

drakeshooter likes this.