Cast iron cooking

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by model70, Aug 21, 2019.

1. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'm not a chef or anything, but I like to cook in a cast iron skillet. I seasoned this skillet after I bought it and use crisco in it after I clean it after cooking. My problem is after I cook sausage my fried eggs stick. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Let's see if we can't draw out the cast iron queen of the forum. How bout it @Lady Hunter ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    MoMan and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I just run a spatula over the bottom of the skillet after I remove the bacon or sausage. If it feels sticky, I scrape the bottom of the skillet before I drop the eggs.

model70, bondhu, rabbit dawg and 3 others like this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Sausage is the devil.... I'm not sure what's in it but even in teflon pans, eggs will stick after cooking it. Those little burnt on pieces that stick in the bottom of the pan are like superglue for eggs!!!! I'd suggest scraping it down like Barney describes above or using a 2nd pan.

Now if eggs are sticking even in a clean pan, it's a temperature issue. Most likely the skillet is too hot. Watched a video yesterday of a guy scrambling eggs in a completely unseasoned bare iron skillet... It's all about temperature control.

p.s. If the skillet is well seasoned (and it sounds like you added your own seasoning on top of the factory seasoning), there's no need to rub your skilet with crisco after cleaning. Just scrub that sucker up good with soap & water, dry it well & put it away. All the crisco does is make it shiny until dust gets stuck in it or it starts to go rancid & smell.

model70 and bondhu like this.
  5. HCDH66

HCDH66 Fawn

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    The sugar in sausage causes things cooked after it to stick. Just wash it and then cook eggs. I have a cast iron griddle that I just use for eggs. And finally, be careful not to get the skillet/griddle too hot. Low and slow is the way to go with either fried or scrambled eggs.

6. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Separate skillet is the way to go. But if your like camping or were your not accessible to have multiple ware. We run enough bacon grease that the eggs are floating in a bacon fat jacuzzi they won't stick the dance. Damn if they ain't good but be prepared for a colon cleanzing . I wish I could have gotten a picture of the doc's face when I was telling him this story during my last CDL physical.

7. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'll try to address it as a heat issue, might even just get another skillet like HCDH66 said. Just know it wasn't working like I thought it should. When I seasoned the pan after purchase, the article I read to do it said after using it to clean in hottest water I could stand with a plastic scrub brush, dry with a rag, place back on hot burner and wipe a thin coat of oil, turn off and leave it to cool on the burner. Thanks again

8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    That's one of the biggest myths about cast iron.... All the oiling after washing does is make it shiny (and make it harder to maintain). Dry iron isn't as PRETTY as the greasy stuff but it works just as good & is a lot easier to maintain. (The biggest myth is that you can't use soap on it. Today's soaps don't contain lye & won't damage the seasoning. Suds those suckers up & scrub 'em down!!!!)

Ataulbe1, HCDH66 and model70 like this.
  9. Just my two cents and I know I’ll be in the minority here but I don’t like eggs cooked on cast iron. I love my eggs easy easy easy sunny side up and there ain’t no easy way to get that on cast iron. My egg skillet, slides right out and into plate without me touching a spatula and cheap enough to replace when inevitably gets scratched:

CDB7BD28-47CE-42CA-BD11-FD9237D952B1.png

Dark Cloud and bondhu like this.
  10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Sam's Club has some good teflon skillets. I believe a 10" goes for about $15.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Would Dawn work, too?

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Yep, I use Dawn on mine every day!

13. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    All you have to do is, keep your skillet hot, pour tap water in your pan so it boils, scrape the bottom of your pan with a wooden or rubber spatula, all that crap will come loose, then pour it out, add new grease and continue to cook. I do this all the time, this is also how I clean all my pans after cooking. Then I re-oil and move on. Here is a picture of my new pole barn kitchen and my cast iron collection, which is at 84 pieces now.

Attached Files:

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Never thought I say I’m jealous of a another mans skillet collection! But I am.

barney, drakeshooter and Feedman like this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    [​IMG]
    Awesome setup Kenbuckyblu!

barney likes this.