Cartridge suggestions for 25-06

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by turkeyman2000, Jan 2, 2006.

1. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    I have recently purchased a new Browning A-Bolt Medallion chambered in 25-06. I plan on using this gun to hunt small game (coyotes) and possibly deer...nothing larger.

Does anyone have cartridge suggestions that I should try when sighting in my gun? I would like to have both a light round for the smaller game and a heavier round for the deer.

I have heard that the Federal Premium Vital-Shok in the 100 gr. Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet is a good cartridge although it's a bit higher in price than other cartridges. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

2. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    federal premium brand has a 90 grain hollow point that was a good shooter through a sendero my buddy had chambered in 25-06. it would shoot under an inch at 100yds. & we could break clay pidgeons ot to 300.

3. Craig Knight

Craig Knight Fawn

Aug 4, 2005
    Northeast Georgia
    .25-06

Try out a box of the Winchester 117 Grain Positive Expanding Hollow Points, they are pretty mean. Probably some of the Federal rounds will bring down any deer sized game with ease.

4. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    25-06

You only need 1 load for anything in Ky (besides Elk). That is a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. You can get them in factory loads or handload them like I do. This has been the flatest and most accurate shooting bullet out of several rifles I've had. Kills deer with authority. I also shot a couple pronghorns in Wyoming with this same load. I have had trouble getting the lighter (than 100gr) weight bullets to shoot accurately out of my rifles. The heavier bullets work well but the 100 gr should open up better on the Coyotes.

5. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Winchester Supreme Silvertips.....

The federal ballistic tips are too tough and I have had several bullets not expand on hitting just soft tissue.......and im not talking about gut shots either......they fail to perform unless they hit bone .....

I switched to Winchester Supreme Silvertips in 115 grain and they have not failed me yet......They leave severe wound channels and the hydorshock damage is enormous......

They will shoot sub three inch groups at 250 yards and are very consistant from batch to batch........

6. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    Maxcam

I never tried the Federal Nosler factory. I assumed they were the same. The Nosler brand that I reload work really well. Shoot thru a deer broadside and make hamburger out of groundhogs.