Carter County Poaching

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by HUNTZVT, Apr 7, 2014.

1. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

We had this deer on cam pretty much the whole season. Saw him multiple times during gun season but had decided to let him walk hoping he'd be a little bigger next year.

He got poached out of the neighbor's field in January. Neighbor heard the shot, called Game Warden and went outside to yell at them. About that time their buddy came by and picked them up. Warden watched the field for a few nights but, as far as I know, no arrests were made.

If anyone knows of anyone poaching around the Globe area of Carter Co, shoot me a pm.

[​IMG]

2. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Don't know about Globe, but all Carter is plagued with poachers. Lewis Co may be even worse. What can we do about it ?

3. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I'd say every county has poaching problems.

4. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I think in this case they did about all they could- Warden was notified.

Closest neighbor shot the back window out of a truck a few years back. That kept them from coming up our way for a while, but this deer got shot down at the mouth of the hollar (where the mild mannered neighbors live).

5. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Keep shootin at em!!

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    How do you have a picture after the fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Warden let my neighbor who called in to report it keep the rack. They apparently shot the deer and two got out to go get it when he came out and chased them off. Not sure if they confiscated it and held it for a couple months or what. This happened in Jan and my dad just sent the pic today.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Cool. Would have been better if he was holding up the poachers head. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. fcfishking

fcfishking 8 pointer

Apr 11, 2010
    Fairdale, KY
    Guys, if any of you belong to clubs and have some cash, or want to run a fundraiser, KDFWR badly needs deer decoys to bust these aholes! Budget cuts, etc, have left a lot of districts without decoys and no funds to buy new one's. We are trying to get some funds to buy one for 3rd District. Very funny story but could have ended badly according to the CO's who told me the story. They were setup a couple years ago in Bullitt County in the Salt River bottoms in a known poaching roadway. Had trucks hidden at each end and a working decoy about 35 yards off the edge of a gravel county road. Bubba and Rufus, been drinking a little, come down the road an headlights hit the deer in the curve of the road. They stop the truck. CO's said they are waiting for a shot.....but instead, Bubba floors the accelerator and runs out in the field and right over the decoy, destroying it. Here come CO's lights flashing and Bubba hauls ass and it ends in a chase at midnight with a couple of drunks in Salt River Bottoms. They finally catch them, ended up rolling on the ground, etc, and lock them up. No weapons in the truck so Bubba decided he would just try to hit the deer......true story and has been repeated numerous times. Long story short.....these guys were hit with several charges but judge did not make them pay for the decoy, so since that time, there has not been one in the 3rd District. They work and will bust a poacher if used.

10. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Judges are a big part of the problem. That's why the new restoration law should take that poor discretion out of their hands.

11. BP1992

BP1992 Banned

Dec 31, 2010
    The dumbest thing he did was stepping out and yelling at them. Why would he want them to leave if he had already called the game warden???

12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The police don't even put thieves in jail anymore due to some change in a law. If somebody comes on your property and steals something from your back yard, car or porch, they just write them a ticket and let them go. I wonder if this is the same for poaching? Can they lock them up or just pull out a ballpoint pen?