Cart Blanche

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by smashdn, Dec 17, 2012.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    So some of us are unhappy with various aspects of how KDFWR manages waterfowl in the state.

Two scenarios I'd like you to consider.

The first: How would you manage the waterfowl program in terms of seasons, wmas, draw procedures, and addition of waterfowl wmas with respect to the current budget and federal constraints as you best understand them?

The second scenario: Carte Blanche. No budget issues. Do what you think best suits you/us from a waterfowl standpoint.

2. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky

They do okay...i'd like to see them flood everything they can and have some non feed rest areas.

carte blanche--- I'd ask for several splits in the season and more public ground with some type of restrictions like 3 days a week or out by 11 oclock or something. sloughs has potential as does peabody and clarks river but we need a comprehensive plan to incorporate the public and give everyone ownership and access. Missourri stinks for us non-residents but they are doing great things for their hunters. We have the potential to do the same.

3. 1) appoint BM as the new waterfowl czar and let it roll (dream scenario)
    2) Make our wetlands what they should be versus "moist soil units" translation we spent to much money and we are to proud to accept volunteer help.
    3) utilize what we do have, we have some great land that is basically doing nothing, IE kaler, much of doug travis, clarks river, LBL, west ky WMA. these lands basically idle.

4. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I appreciate your confidence but apparently politics gets involved at some point....and duckhunters aren't as important as race horse owners amongst other things. We do really have great potential in this state for some destination type hunting...arkansas and mo-mo have learned how to capitalize on this, we may never get it together. It is a resource that we could exploit...our deer are too. We are hung up on elk....(which I beleive is a great thing) but we have so many other oportunities....ie... trout on the cumberland..ducks and deer on Peabody....ducks on Pond river,tradewater river,clarks river, Bayou du chein,cypress creek, mayfield creek and the sloughs areas. We are blessed.....just need a little "Big Picture" management.

5. Flood pond river. All of it. Use the existing levee's and roads. Put in some flood gates and back it up into the woods.

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Careful. Youre telling the 15th century vatican the world is round.

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    What do you not like about moist soil units?

8. nothing per se but when pretty much all the acres in ballard, the duck pond, and several other places are nothing more than disked up mudholes and the surronding states Ill, MoMO etc plant grains and flood grains its easy to see why the flyways have shifted. Tell me smash. would you rather have all you can eat prime rib buffet or hot dogs? I understand that moist soils have there place in ecology but its the easy way out when it comes to the states management plan. they stand back and go look at what I did.

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I've been down to Ballard when the mud holes killed 10 to 1 what the corn blinds did.

Moist soil doesn't look like much and you're right it is easier, but easy to do wrong and end up with a cocklebur hole too. Some areas of wmas don't do anything, they just let mother nature do her thing and those are some good spots when the ducks show up.

There are guys down at Camden bottoms that disc under great most soil stands to plant late corn that will half the time get flooded out and stunted. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I guess it makes them happy to have done something.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    This..........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^end of thread.

11. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Seriously B.M. is spot on. Resting Peabody on Mon,Tues and Thurs or something similar could help. Pressure runs our birds off as much as anything, more splits would help. An earlier date as we have all discussed and spread the season out some. Non food rest areas that are not a 40 foot pit (goose lake, south lake etc...) dont get me wrong they work well when we get zero weather, but seasons like the last three make them a moot point except for the local honks.

12. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    As is pertains to "moist soil units"....I doubt we could ask for better duck food with the current warming trends. GOOD moist soil is as good as it gets...until it gets good and cold. Then the corn turns on.

13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Under current conditions this is what I would like to see. As far as draws, similar to what Art has wanted in the Ballard thread. Big board with all the blinds to be hunted that day with a light or peg or something. Half the blinds are for quota hunters and they pull blinds first. Poor line shows up and draw a pill to determine your order of pick. You draw a pick for very late and don't want to hang around to pick a blind leave. No kill sheets posted. Those can be manipulated.

I like Sloughs draw the way it is. Pretty fair system.

I can't speak on the condition of Doug Travis, Kaler, and some of those other "waterfowl" wma's. But if they need attention divert some of the elk, deer, and turkey monies to them to get them up to snuff.

No holds barred: Flood the pond river bottoms and buy more of them. Early season of some length, maybe fri-sun in late october early november. Drain about half the shallow lakes at Peabody and let them dry out for 3 years. Install stop logs on them so they can be manipulated. Build a cat-daddy pumping station to pump out of the Green. Buy bottom land and restore natural meanders to Chit (only name I have ever heard for it) Creek northwest of Paradise.

Buy land in the bottoms of Rough and Green confluence and create habitat. Turn it into a duck park like MOMO if we need to to slide the flyway back east.

Make sure every dollar that gets sent from KY to DU goes to habitat projects around the great lakes, due north into canada and points east. Kick Ohio in the arse and get them on the same kind of program to do work in their state.

Close certain areas WMA's certain days of the week but not so that it adversely limits hunter opportunity. I don't care for all of Peabody being closed at 2:00 nor any other wma where the whole area closes in the afternoon. Some folks work schedules don't lend them to being able to get out in the morning but could make and afternoon hunt. Plus you could take out a kid after school. I think that that would actually create less (albeit not much less) pressure on the weekends.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. Couldn't disagree more. Peabody has more than enough remote locations the don't see any pressure due to lack of access. I would like to see a couple of days were hunting is sun up to sun down. That would allow opportunity for me to take my boys after school and get a couple hours of quality hunting in without the weekend circus in town. Besides there is 2 refuges within ear shot of each other and a river that is hunted very very little and also there is Paradise which does not allow hunting. IMO the birds are here today and gone tomorrow due to the lack of food source to hold large number o birds, not pressure.

15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    That was why I would like to see some of those shallow holes drained and worked on with a water control structure. That black and grey muck ought to grow something if they let it dry out.

Not much food on Peabody save for maybe the sloughs that dry up that are connected to pond somehow or when it gets out and floods the bottoms.