Caribbean Vacation

scsims

10 pointer
Oct 14, 2003
Mercer/Washington County
I'm trying to plan a vacation to somewhere in the Caribbean other than the Bahamas to a all inclusive family resort. I've been researching but have found lots of ultra cheap deals that I'm leary of. Does anyone have any advice on where to go or trusted travel agents that specialize in this area?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
We did all inclusive at Westin in Jamaica about 20 years ago. Very nice. Stay clear of Montego Bay. It was white witch Rose Hall.

Gioacchino

6 pointer
Jan 20, 2016
Kentucky
My wife and I just went to Jamaica this May. We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights at Royalton White Sands in Falmouth. We were at the resort most of the time, but we did do a half-day Dunn's Diver Falls tour. Total cost to book on the travel site was $2,500. That was for all-inclusive package, round trip flights, insurance, and round trip travel service in Jamaica. We probably spent a little over $3,000 total once you figure in airport parking, tipping, Dunn's River Falls, etc. I was honestly pretty skeptical about the whole all-inclusive thing, but I really enjoyed it. We probably could have gotten a better deal than what we did, but we booked a little closer to the travel date than we should have. My wife is already trying to get me to book for next year.

Feel free to let me know if you want more info.

PS - We tried the MoBay service at the airport in Jamaica, and we found it to not be worth the extra money.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Vacationexpress.com is a pretty good site. Went to Cancun and Puerta Vallarta and did all the booking through this site. Has lots of Caribbean vacations too. Easy to navigate. My trips were all inclusive.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Vacationexpress.com is a pretty good site. Went to Cancun and Puerta Vallarta and did all the booking through this site. Has lots of Caribbean vacations too. Easy to navigate. My trips were all inclusive.
We used vacationexpress too, but through an agent, and got a far better deal. We also got the trip insurance, $160 for the wife and I, and ended up needing it because the wife got hospitalized the day before we were supposed to leave. Saved us $3K, and all I had to do was fill out a little paperwork, send them our hospital admission paperwork, and had a check for the full amount in my hand in 10 days.

jfiscus

6 pointer
Nov 19, 2013
Kenton County
My in-laws go to that area every year. More often than not they end up going to Mexico. They book all of their vacations through Apple Vacations and haven't had any issues. We went with them once, and when the resort wasn't all it was supposed to be, we talked to the local rep down there and they got us moved to a much nicer resort a couple miles down the beach for a very small fee.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
We used vacationexpress too, but through an agent, and got a far better deal. We also got the trip insurance, $160 for the wife and I, and ended up needing it because the wife got hospitalized the day before we were supposed to leave. Saved us $3K, and all I had to do was fill out a little paperwork, send them our hospital admission paperwork, and had a check for the full amount in my hand in 10 days.

Probably is cheaper Iceman. First time was our honeymoon in 98. Walked into travel agency in small town I was in and said, "This is what I got to spend on a honeymoon." After watching how easy she set it up I was like, "Heck I can do that!" It does seem like a good business though. We lost a day one time due to flight cancellations and delays due to weather and they reimbursed us $400 for a day plus sent us $300 worth of vouchers and we didn't even push the issue. Haven't done an All Inclusive for some years now. Next summer will be our 20th anniversary so may just have to book a trip.

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
Can't give any advice on "inclusive" because I have always planned myself or been on govt business, but I can suggest where and where not to go.

Best - Aruba and Curaçao - great places, safe everywhere. Some truly unique experiences. Dutch protectorates so laws are different (prostitution and weed legal but controlled, you won't see it unless you know what you are looking for).

Good - yucatan Mexico

As much bad as good - Dominican Republic and Jamaica - resort worlds have nothing in common with rest of islands - stay behind the safety fence or beware

Haiti/Cuba - hell, why not, if you want to be beaten robbed or dead

Honorable mention - Puerto Rico if you don't want to mess with passports

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
At the time we did All Inclusive you weren't required to have a passport. We just had to present birth certificate and picture ID. Things have changed I'm sure. I can tell you that if you stick to the coastal and resort areas these places are beautiful and if you venture inland you start seeing sad 3rd world stuff, especially Mexico.

Zeb

8 pointer
May 20, 2008
Prospect, KY
Can't give any advice on "inclusive" because I have always planned myself or been on govt business, but I can suggest where and where not to go.

Best - Aruba and Curaçao - great places, safe everywhere. Some truly unique experiences. Dutch protectorates so laws are different (prostitution and weed legal but controlled, you won't see it unless you know what you are looking for).

Good - yucatan Mexico

As much bad as good - Dominican Republic and Jamaica - resort worlds have nothing in common with rest of islands - stay behind the safety fence or beware

Haiti/Cuba - hell, why not, if you want to be beaten robbed or dead

Honorable mention - Puerto Rico if you don't want to mess with passports
I agree, don't overlook Aruba and Curacao. Like Coot- I've never done an all inclusive (other than a cruise) but feel that we usually come out a bit cheaper and have more options planning ourselves. Aruba was very nice, not crowded and everyone was friendly. We didn't get hassled to buy crap or pestered while walking around the restaurant/shopping areas. I didn't know about the weed laws or prostitution and never saw any sign of it while there. Lot's a Dutch people around. Funny- We loaded onto the elevator at the hotel right after checking in and had three tall blonds jump in wearing thong bikinis. A bit of a culture shock and wife later said something like "well they had nice bathing suits". I've been married long enough to say "who? I didn't notice, must be tired from traveling". Take good sunglasses and a ton of sunblock. Also, check American Airlines for flight specials.

bondhu

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
Has anyone been to Maya Rivera? I was looking on Costco and was thinking of booking a trip for next May. It is all inclusive fly down and back.