Career Change?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Panther45, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Thats kind of the point I have gotten to with teaching. Dreading everyday going in, tired of dealing with the drama of admin acting like 6th graders, can't discipline students, crazy parents, etc. I'm going to be working twice as much with the greenhouse but I'm going to be able to spend more time with my family as the greenhouse is on the same farm we live on and as a bonus, my work time is going to be very flexible during hunting season!

aaronc likes this.
  2. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Mostly annuals and perennials along with some limited veggies. He also has a contract with the city to grow and help maintain all of the flowers in the city.

3. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    I had actually planned on finishing out the entire school year but my FIL approached me back in the summer saying he was ready for me anytime. I worked it out so I could teach until December and will start the greenhouse early February. He even offered to match my teaching salary, which is not huge by any means, for a couple of years and then wants me to start investing my own money each year for a percentage of profits. I figured I had better take advantage of the offer now. It is a little intimidating being in business yourself though. Not having a guaranteed profit every year is scary. Just have to trust that God is in control and it will all work out.

xbokilla, BELLY UP!!!, hotdog and 7 others like this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Personality?

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    1Wildat how's that new career trimming trails for the Mrs going?

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Wearing me out. Should have bought a smaller Pioneer. Yesterday was "hang camera day". Can't take a step on 800 acres without having your picture taken. Finance tip, buy stock in Duracell.

Gooser and Feedman like this.
  7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    This has always been a two edge sword kinda question for me. I love to cook and have always thought I could open a Real burger joint. I'm talking hand cut kennebecs and about 15-18 different burgers on the menu. Beer on tap as well. The burgers would be a mix of both locally grown beef and a few wild game concoctions and maybe even a homemade veggie concoction for that group. I feel like I would end up hating cooking though after doing that for a while so will just keep enjoying my own kitchen and grill I guess.

8. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Definitely got that. Charming as can be

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I also thought that I would like yo be a cattle buyer. I have always really like being around cattle

EdLongshanks and FF/EMT516 like this.
  10. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Yeah that would be a cool job too.

Feedman likes this.
  11. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I spent 15 yrs in the factory world. I made good money and had great benefits but it was just so repetitive, I began to literally hate it. 20 years ago I gave it up to be self employed. I wouldn't say it was the best choice financially speaking, but I have been able to do things that I would have never been able to doing the shift work.
    I now have a very successful small business that I enjoy for the most part. I say for the most part because working with the public can really wear on you, especially when it's all on you. I have zero regrets though. I work about 8 months out of the year. I can take off all of hunting season if I wish.
    I would highly recommend to any of you younger guys to go after your dreams and don't wait. If you have a skill set that warrants self employment, go for it. Don't settle for working to make someone else's life the one you want.

P.S.
    My business is for sale. :D

aaronc, Feedman, FF/EMT516 and 2 others like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    You mean she isn't making you put Lithiums in there? I may buy stock in both! ;) Did she use up the whole pile of cams?

13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Would love to be a gigolo but you would only be one accident away from a career ending incident!
    That and I can't see women paying someone who might have bigger tits than them,lol!
    But I've always been told women like laying naked on bear skin rugs, I got enough hair on my body to fulfill that fantasy for them.

Tankt and Panther45 like this.
  14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Yes, plus two more on the door step this morning.
    Lithiums wilI be next year.

Drahts likes this.
  15. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    What’s your business? Lol Not that I have any money to buy lol