Carbons on a budget

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Thomas Roberts, Oct 4, 2019.

1. bullet225ho

bullet225ho 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2004
    Crooked Creek
    I still have 2 of the original 6 Browning XT By Gold Tip shafts that I bought back around 1998. Yes 21yrs... I went from the Browning labelled Gold Tip to the Gold Tip XT hunters and now shooting Gold Tip Velocity XT 400s. I have a new dozen that I picked up last winter from Bass Pro bargain section for 59.99. When you get them the only way to hurt them is to lose them, shoot them into each other (aim at different spots on your target to prevent hitting shafts...especially with broadheads) or breakage from non pass through shots (I've lost more than a few this way with hogs here in GA)

Most carbon shafts are pretty decent these days from what I'm understanding. I just shoot gold tip as that's what I've built for years and haven't let me down. Do some research and make sure you get the right spine for your bow and adjust the bow rest/knock point to get the broadheads to fly with field tips. Make sure broadheads spin true on spin test and let the carbons eat.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  2. Thank you so much for information. Gold tips seem to be the favorites but o think you're right that most seem to be good these days. The details are the deciding factor. Like you said, it's the right combination between bow,draw weight,broadheads, and what you will be shooting at. Again, thank you!

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    eBay is your friend. Way better arrow deals. You can find good quality and even people to cut them. I have a friend that just bought 12 Bloodsport cut and all for like $60. I recently bought a dozen Gold Tip, Blazer Vane 300s for $74. Plenty of deals.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  4. Thanks for the information!