Car mechanical issue??

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by WildmanWilson, Nov 8, 2016.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Sounds like the throttle body to me too .

Check out youtube for others with the same problems . Most of the time others have solved it and shows how to fix the problems.

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I have had several problems with my cars that I have diagnosed and fixed by searching on line on forums about my particular vehicle. Many times the same problem will rear its ugly head in cars of the same make around the country, and if you keep seeing it mentioned, there is a good chance somebody will post a cure. It has saved me a bunch of money, too!

3. invasion36

invasion36 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    YouTube has been invaluable for me in circumstances like this.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Well, what was the problem with the car?

5. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    My F150 did the same thing...ended up being one of the coils going bad.

barney likes this.
  6. baknblack

baknblack 12 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    If the light has come on a code has been stored in the ECM. I've got a 20 dollar blue tooth adapter and the torq app on my phone. It can do most things the high dollar scanners can do but, not all.
    Could be losing the tach signal, coil pack, fuel pump, or any of a hundred other things.
    Best course of action is grab the code and fire up Google. Good odds multiple people have had the same issue.

7. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Fuel pump. Or am i showing my age?

8. schroader

schroader 10 pointer

Dec 27, 2004
    down by the river,,,
    Depending on the motor. Could be coil pack or MAS (mass air flow sensor)

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It was the throttle body. I changed it in 5 minutes and let it program itself and its been running perfect since.

schroader likes this.
  10. I'm glad you solved your issue but I just wanted to point out to others suggesting getting the code read that is stored on the ecm, that just having a code or two won't always do you much good. You need a mechanic who can read and interpret all the streaming data from you vehicle while running to get the full picture and those fellas are rare. For instance, if your code shows O2 sensor and you replace it you may or may not solve your issue. Just saying.

schroader likes this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    You are correct. However, having the initial code as a starting point helps. I can usually narrow it down by doing a Google search on the make and mode plus the code. There's all kinds mechanic and user forums where people talk about similar issues. A few times, I've narrowed issues down to a couple things based on this, and had the mechanic do that first, saving me hundreds of dollars in labor costs for "diagnosing" the problem.

In one instance, after 3 part replacements, and $1500 that I had not authorized, the shop did what I told them to in the first place, and the problem was solved for $200. The service manager was not happy to have to write me a $1300 check.

drakeshooter likes this.