Canning sausage

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by dirtstalker, Mar 11, 2021.

1. bondhu, barney and dirtstalker like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I pour the jar at least half full when I can it. I make sure jars are sterilized and very warm before filling with sizzling sausage and instantly cover with frying hot lard and I flip the jar as soon as the lid is on. The sausage will actually still be frying in the jar for a little while after the lard is poured over it. I also understand that there are risks associated with this canning method.

My grandparents also "larded" fried sausage and other fried pork, mainly pork chops and sausage in a crock by layering the meat and pouring warm lard over the meat. The crock was kept in the cellar or the smokehouse over the winter. Just rake the lard back and take out what was needed then seal the hole back up with the lard.

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Brody, bondhu, barney and 1 other person like this.
  4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Hope to get this done in the next week or so. I think it will be fine. Im sure ive risked worse lol.

barney likes this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Like Barney said sausage was layered in a open crock and covered with layers of grease/ lard. People would just dig out sausage as they needed it , heat and eat.
    I have also heard that sometimes if it was done wrong people got really sick.

barney likes this.
  6. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Im thinking the high heat of both the sausage and grease, then the lack of air once cooled off and the grease sealing around the lid will keep any germs from growing in the jar.

barney and bondhu like this.
  7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    The way I understood it the grease forms the barrier. Heard old folks talk about digging in the crock for sausage. But they said invention of jars was great because ,has been mentioned it was hard to get the sausage you left in crock sealed back up. A jar of sausage is all eat up.
    I would never doubt Barney’s wisdom. But flipping over before cool. I would be worried 1st sausage patty would be out of grease. I would also leave at least half inch head space. I would also let completely cool and use the plastic ball lids. No sense in wasting a seal. The lid is just to keep mice from licking all the grease out. :)

dirtstalker likes this.
  8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Yep cook cover with the grease and flip over. Simple as that. Gonna hunt some hogs in a few weeks in Texas. Hoping to do 50 or so pounds when I get back. Gonna use prairie sage and mountain man blend from hi mtn seasonings.

TripleGee, barney, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    20210412_110658_copy_1651x763.jpg
    Getting a start on this. 14 pints so far. Canning a total of 22 lbs all together this go round.

redjackson, barney and bigbonner like this.