Canning sausage

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by dirtstalker, Mar 11, 2021.

1. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    So im looking for some real world advice on canning pork sausage. I have quite a bit in the freezer from some hogs i took off about a year ago. I need room in the freezer for a beef thats getting took off in a few weeks.
    Whats the process..and any tips or tricks?

2. Don’t take any advice from me this is just me reflecting here. I seem to remember after we killed hogs grandma would cook up a bunch of patties and stack them in jars, then pour the hot grease over them and seal.

DH13, bondhu and barney like this.
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    wish I had paid more attention. But mamaw would fry pattys and put in mason jars. Then cover them with lard

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Sorry Drake I was side tracked

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    A lot of old timers did it as folks describe above. Fry up patties that would fit in the jars, pour enough hot grease over them to cover & then slap the lid on & turn the jar upside down to seal.

I'm not going to recommend that - just gonna state how it was done for years & years. Most people were fine - some developed botulism. I'm not willing to take the chance.

The official, tested & approved as safe, method has you cooking the sausage (loose or patties), putting it in jars, topping off with hot water or broth, and then pressure canner processing for meat times (75 minutes pints, 90 minutes quarts). Just be cautious with sage - it doesn't can well & can cause a bitter flavor...

More details:
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

TripleGee, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  6. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive always heard the cook and add grease method. Ive read the "proper" method and that sounds like it would be nasty and ruin it. Im thinking of trying the fry and grease method. My mom said her mama done it when she was growing up...and they all survived.

barney likes this.
  7. Why can’t you process after you add the grease instead of broth?

barney likes this.
  8. Some kind of rich pork stock might be bomb.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I haven't tried it so can't speak from experience but... I'd suspect because of the grease. I know I have a higher seal failure rate with foods that have more fat in them (chili is a royal PITA for that reason).

Personally I haven't tried canning sausage at all because I'm leery of the old method and the approved method just sounds nasty to me. Soggy sausage... Yuck!!!!!

10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My mom and my grandmaw both fried it up place it in jars. Then poured hot grease till patties were coverd over. The hot grease sealed the lids. It was good. Grew up on it.

11. Doug 16

Doug 16 6 pointer

Jun 7, 2020
    New york
    Tim farmer has a show where they can sausage. I do now they pressure caned it. Check you tube that's where I watch his shows.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Chicken broth?!? That just dont sound good, it may be great..but sounds horrible. Ive talked to several older folks last few days (75 yrs +)..and they all swear by the fry, add grease and seal method. I have plenty of lard..made from the same hogs the sausage did. I really believe thats the method i will try.

From what im getting from everyone..i need to fill the jars completely with hot grease before lidding. The folks ive asked tell me that when they cool..you shouldnt see much sausage at all. That what everybody who has done it remembers?

bondhu and barney like this.