Canada Pics

predator

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2006
Leitchfield, Ky.
We had a great time in Saskatchewan. They had had record rains the week before we arrived and delayed some of the crop harvest and made it tough to get into the fields, but if we could find flooded barley or winter pea holes, it made for great duck hunting. One field yielded over 150 ducks over 6 hunts, hunting 1/4 acre potholes. The weather was from the lower 30s to mid 40's and overcast about every day and that helped us during the full moon. I think we only had 2 bluebird days in 10 days of hunting. We were trying some custom duck and goose calls by Andrew Hadden and they worked very well.

First week, myself, Kevin Brooks, Don Cottrell and Sam Cain ended up with 241 birds. We had 157 ducks, 75 Canadas, 4 snows and 5 sandhills.
DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

The second week, Kyle Childress, Jermy VanMeter and Ryan Bratcher joined Kevin and I. We ended up with 298 birds. 94 Canadas, 12 snows, 4 specs and 188 ducks.
DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

This is the first time I'd ever seen "duck trails". We killed 40 ducks in 20 minutes the last day out of this flooded barley. That includes the time we spent counting up. They kept pouring in all morning as we were trying to finish with a few geese. As you can see they had trails wore out coming out of this hole.
DSCN0238.jpg

Last edited:

predator

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2006
Leitchfield, Ky.
Wow. Sounds like a great hunt. Sandhills? I've heard they are very good to eat. Curious if a dog was used for the retrieving?

Sandhills are good to eat. They are called "rib-eye in the sky" in Texas, but I wouldn't go quite that far. We did not have a dog, although I wish we had one because I got to go "wading" a couple of times. On a related note, when we hunted in Texas, they wouldn't let their dogs retrieve sandhills, they said cripples would poke the dog's eyes out. I had to dispatch a couple of ours and let me tell you they are mean, hissing and pecking alot.

BadDuck

12 pointer
Aug 13, 2007
Bullitt County
Nice work!! The more and more pics I see from you the more and more I want to hunt Canada. I FINALLY graduate this December and the wife told me...yes told me to go hunt somewhere next year....

I graduate next december...I have been wanting to do a canada trip for ages....have hunted the dakotas several times......now its time to head north of the border....maybe a few of us kyhunting boys need to put together a trip....

Coming up for the shoot next weekend?

BTW...Good job Keith.

uplandchessies

10 pointer
Mar 20, 2002
Florence, Ky, USA.
Sandhills are good to eat. They are called "rib-eye in the sky" in Texas. We did not have a dog, although I wish we had one because I got to go "wading" a couple of times. On a related note, when we hunted in Texas, they wouldn't let their dogs retrieve sandhills, they said cripples would poke the dog's eyes out. I had to dispatch a couple of ours and let me tell you they are mean, hissing and pecking alot.

Yeah, I've heard them referred to that. Also heard they are tough on dogs which is why I asked. Congrats on the great hunt.

littletom

8 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
Knob Lick, Ky
We just got back from sk. monday night. 249 in a week of freelancing for the week 3 great days 1 good one and 2 so so. I love the place can't wait till next year.

predator

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2006
Leitchfield, Ky.
We just got back from sk. monday night. 249 in a week of freelancing for the week 3 great days 1 good one and 2 so so. I love the place can't wait till next year.

How far north did you go. Freelancing would have been tough where we were because of all the wet fields. I heard it was somewhat drier in southern Saskatchawen.

Latest posts