Can I launch boat on Tailwaters of Cumberland River Below Wolf Creek Dam?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Shaefercd, May 21, 2020.

1. Shaefercd

Shaefercd Fawn

Dec 25, 2019
    Adair County
    Hello,

I am new to the area and want to get my John boat into the tailwaters below Wolf Creek Dam for some fly fishing for trout. Is it safe to launch now and where can I go to find out online if it is safe and what the release schedule is for the dam?

Anyone fishing on the river now?

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    TVA lake levels is a app you can get. It will tell amount released an lake levels.
    Discharge is at 16,640 this morning an was at 28,290

I don't think it would be safe with all the rain an they are trying to lower the lake

Shaefercd likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I would not launch a Jon boat if they were spilling, sluicing, or running more than 2 generators in that location. Now if they are running just 2 generators or less, one could likely launch down there and be safe. With two generators going, the current is still pretty strong up there that close to the dam. If I were doing it I would want to make sure I had a nice wide Jon boat and a decent motor to fight my way back up or pick a take out point and do a drift.

Shaefercd likes this.
  4. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    If you know what you are doing, yes....there are ramps and you can launch at several places within 3 or 4 miles below Wolf Creek Dam. BUT, if you don't know what you are doing, you can get in big trouble fast. The current is swift and the water is deep, wide and deadly cold. Even if the water is low they sometimes start generating off schedule and you can be in a world of hurt if you don't have enough motor, boat, or experience to get back to the ramp.

The best fly fishing - for me - is off the bank at the Rock House a few miles past Creelsboro when the water is low. You can also fly fish in Hatchery Creek (catch and release) off the trail past the trout hatchery.

mac0492, xbokilla and Shaefercd like this.
  5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Here is a link:

https://www.tva.com/Environment/Lake-Levels/Wolf-Creek

There is no set reliable release schedule. It is always subject to change.
    Generally and if you look back at previous history you will see the non generation
    times and peaks. You want to be nearer the dam ( Kendal ramp, Mann rd, Helms Landing, Winfrey's Ferry) early morning fish the low water and fish until generation starts. I live in Burkesville (35 river miles DS) and can fish up high early and low water at my house in late afternoon. I wouldn't use anything less that 16ft in a low profile boat and probably not use an anchor. The river had a couple of fishable days recently but that was short lived. It needs to stop fn raining for more that one day. They have been releasing between 20 and 30 CFS for months and months now. June maybe? Where are you from?

Shaefercd likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I think G force means 20,000 CFS or greater release at this time, and not just 20CFS. Way way too dangerous at this time IMO. Some of the upper ramps are literally underwater at that 20,000 cfs discharge level.

FWIW I have fished the river several decades and have found the current daily release schedules from the above TVA web site to be reliable for the next day after 330 pm schedule announcement in normal weather and rainfall periods. It IS subject to change. Call or check the discharge again the morning before you fish.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Shaefercd and Gforcetrivers like this.
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

Correct 20k is not fishable. Nearer the dam you are the more dramatic the water rise is. My ramp is fine but I am down from Burkesville. But the river is to high to really fish. Its like making a splash in the tub or pool. Or a ring a fish makes as it moves away it gets less. Same with the river. The dam is the start of the wave 35 miles later its not as extreme.

Shaefercd likes this.
  8. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    The river is still in the tree line.

Shaefercd likes this.
  9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    We fished it like that in 2015 or 16 in August. Water was up and we ran a good ten miles plus downstream with hardly a bite. We caught our fish up by the dam at night.

Shaefercd likes this.
  10. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Drove across Wolf Creek Dam this morning. The floodgates are open and the river is rolling.

I stopped on the dam (not supposed to do this - but it was around 7 a.m. and there was zero traffic) and looked over at the water going down the spillway and I saw a jon boat headed up the swollen river toward the base of the dam. I'm not sure if the guys were fishing or just attempting suicide but I'd say the odds of catching a fish would only be marginally better than the odds for dying if you are close to the dam in a boat that size when the water is rolling like it was today.

We have a farm below the dam and the backwater is up in the creeks - but I'd say it is at least 8 to 10 ft. lower than it was last year.

On the lake side there was a lot of trash in the water. About 250 yards from the boat ramp at the north side of the dam there was a tree (ash?) that must have been 30-40 ft. long floating about 100 yards off the bank. Not a good day to be opening up the throttle....

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Wouldn't want to be out there night fishing with all the debris.

Shaefercd likes this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Going tonight. Taking spotlight

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Good luck with the prop and lower unit. I'd be a nervous wreck anything faster than idle speed there. I run around 30 at night on Ky lake with lights and still hold my breath.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    The tva info is good info. 2 generators isn't bad in fact the bite turns on with some current. Just have a reliable motor.

15. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I watched bass boat jump up and take off this past Friday night, only to sit right back down as fast as he took off.
    I saw several whole trees floating and lots of big logs.
    I'm not taking any chances.

1wildcatfan likes this.