Can I hunt on my land (rural Bell County)?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by new2thewoods, Nov 30, 2019.

1. new2thewoods

new2thewoods Fawn

Nov 30, 2019
    Middlesboro
    Hello all. I am closing on a home in Bell County with a small amount of acreage. With neighbors directly across the street, hunting on my property didn't seem feasible to me...until I came across a deer stand in "my" woods. Obviously the previous owner was hunting it.

Whom would I contact to find out if my land is too "residential" for legal hunting? Or perhaps it's more complicated- or simple- than that?

Thank you.

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    You can hunt it. No need to ask anyone. Use common sense but hunt away.

grouseguy, bigbonner and davers like this.
  3. AllDodge

AllDodge Spike

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    The sheriff will know

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I dont know where you came from but this is Guntucky.
    Fire Away.

FOWLER2671, bondhu, EC and 5 others like this.
  5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    No need to ask the sheriff or anyone else. Hunt if you want. Shoot if you want. Grow a crop. Cut a tree. Raise an animal. Build a pond and fish. It’s your land. Do what you like.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If not in the city I would hunt my own land. No reason you cant.

mac0492 likes this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    If you want to use a gun I would suggest investing in a suppressor. it’s a little bit of a process and cost more than it should but will significantly quiet down a gunshot. You could also use a bow or crossbow but keep in mind it’s common for arrowed deer to run 50 to 300 yards before falling.
    How many acres of land Do you own? There’s also nothing wrong with talking to your neighbors about it to feel them out they may be happy to allow you to track a wounded deer to their property but if it bothers them it may help you make a decision on how to handle this, That assumes you give a rats ass about what your neighbors think And value having a good relationship with them. When the deer leaves your property you are 100% in their hands as to whether you can recover it or not.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Kentucky has an amendment in the constitution making it a constitutional right to hunt on your own land. Anyone who says otherwise can kick rocks

FOWLER2671, EC and gds like this.
  9. AllDodge

AllDodge Spike

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    Twenty One states have legal right to hunt on their own land, but that does not stop a city to pass an ordnance to stop it. Same reason folks cannot hunt on 1/2 acre lot in a city. My Nephew has been hunting on 15 acres his family owns for 30 years. French Lick passed an ordnance that there is no hunting, target practice or other, so now he can no longer hunt

I don't know where the OP lives nor how much land, proximity of hoses and other things. Its always good to know the local sheriff and he/she can answer real quick and easy

Edit: should say its no guns, can still use Bow/Cross bow

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    timer and EdLongshanks like this.
  10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Not neccessarily. If the land is encumbered with restrictions you may be VERY limited to what you can do. Example. No Chickens, Poultry or fowl of any kind. I know I am suffering the consequences and my house is in the middle of no where Cumberland Cnty.

11. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Ft Mitchell Ky has a no hunting ordinance. Plenty of big racked bucks.

12. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Ky has zero restrictions on where you can hunt. Many states have minimum acreage requirements, ky does not. Many states have minimum feet from a residence, ky does not.
    Ky also passed a Constitutional Amendment that says cities and towns can't regulate or prohibit hunting.
    Ft Mitchell and several others removed their no hunting ordinances because of this.
    You don't need to call anybody, hunt away, just do it safely.

JR in KY and barney like this.
  13. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If you are not in a city with ordinances or a subdivision with restrictive covenants, it's legal. If your area has a lot of houses close , use common sense.....then you might want to only bow hunt.

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    First day after you close, get up at dawn and take a shotgun out in your yard and fire away. You'll probably find out real quick if you can't do that.

Ataulbe1 and bigbonner like this.
  15. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I have found you can fire ONE shot almost anywhere.

Whut wuz that Mable, the TV.?