Can double lunged shot deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by allseasonhunter, Nov 13, 2018.

Can double lunged archery shot deer live

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The short answer is no. A deer shot through both lungs will die. The question is how long will they live. It's not a black and white question because the answer depends on the severity of the injury. Center punched through both lungs, no deer will live longer than a minute. Just clipping one lung, they will eventually die from that injury, whether its 30 second or 3 days.

hunt likes this.
  2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    You didn’t show the lungs themselves. From his words sounds like one lung was hit better than the other. Probably caught the very back on the one and the front on the other. It’s hard to come to a conclusion without seeing evidence. We all know no mammal will survive without lungs. A solid double lung hit will be 100% death. The question is how solid was that hit? It simply cannot be a perfect textbook shot.

BowOnly and hunt like this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Or the damage,one gets when one jumps off the side of the bank,into a Fiberglas big rig

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  4. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    Every one Ive double lunged hasn’t made it more than 10-20 yards.

hunt likes this.
  5. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Don't aim for that area behind the shoulder again,they don't die anymore. U will live in heartbreak,sorry.

BowOnly, Meatstick and GregDeer77 like this.
  6. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Very informative thread. As a new archery hunter, I have now come to learn that I was wrong all along in thinking I should be aiming for the lungs. Only head shots for now on!

Recurve77, WildmanWilson and hunt like this.
  7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    So are 76% of us wrong on this situation? Lol this shat is amusing. If a center punch with whatever u want to use ( field point, rage, scwacker, .270, 300, .22, butcher knife, powebelt) it don't matter. If it's s perfect double lung that's a dead deer in under a min. 100% of the time.

hunt likes this.
  8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I had a buddy shoot one by accident years ago with a field point and killed it graveyard dead. He kept in in his quiver to target shoot before getting down but didn’t realize that’s the one he’d grabbed.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I also have first hand experience with this. Son shot a small doe and his expandable didn't open. We found the deer 30 yards from the shot. Only found a small entry and exit hole. Back tracked and found the arrow with the blades still firmly in position and looked just like they came out of the package except for the traces of blood.
    I think the fletching made a bigger hole than the broadhead.

10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Interesting pic I just seen on FB. Obviously not a perfect shot. But intriguing still the same with the discussion at hand.
    1BF36797-8F50-46DC-8CA4-A655ADA175A3.jpeg

11. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Even as hard as it is to believe that a double lung shot deer, just nicked or center punched, will live an hour much less weeks I'll never say never. Having witnessed a couple of amazing things deer lived thru that I wouldn't have believed if i didn't see it. I used to have a magazine that had an article and pics of all kinds of things found in deer. From bullets and arrows/broadheads in their hearts to broke off metal t fence post and big pieces of sticks found in their chest cavity. My brother went to taxidermy school and said they had a big jar full of different objects found in their head and necks. On the other hand I've seen many hunting shows where shots looked bad and think that's a wounded deer and it fall in view of the camera so you never know. Deer can be some amazingly tough animals to kill at times.

12. The only true way to take down a mature buck,is a silverado.

Meatstick likes this.
  13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    That’s a perfect example of a hit above the spine. That deer will more than likely live unless some infection overtakes it.

BowOnly and Ataulbe1 like this.
  14. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
  15. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    That’s also a perfect example people would swear found the “void” between the spine and lungs. Even though this post/thread turned ridiculous, there is some very interesting information in the videos/pics.

dabassking and Ataulbe1 like this.