Can anyone ID this smiling snake?

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I really don't like Snakes, but I used to see a Lot of them 40 years ago. Now, I seldom find one even water snakes at the creek.
One farm I have used to be "Eat up" with Copperheads. Since I took it back out of lease 7 years ago I haven't seen a single one but I know they have to be around. Haven't ground one up cutting hay either. When i got back home i am gonna check under some old barn metal that's blown off...and I WILL have my AR 15 handy.
I have killed rattlers on every prairie dog hunt I was ever on.
@Nock my advice to find Rattlesnakes is talk to @dirtstalker because Clay County is Snake Central.

Or Perry next door to Clay. For those that have hunted with or know any of the LMO crew, those guys kill rattlers and copperheads like going out of style. When I had my hunt a few years back they were in a bad drought in that area and they had killed like 7-8 rattlers in the week leading up to my hunt. I’ll have to admit, I was scared sh!tless. Kept my gaiters on. My crew didn’t kill any rattlers on my hunts but a crapload of copperheads. Several other groups had rattler encounters.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Or Perry next door to Clay. For those that have hunted with or know any of the LMO crew, those guys kill rattlers and copperheads like going out of style. When I had my hunt a few years back they were in a bad drought in that area and they had killed like 7-8 rattlers in the week leading up to my hunt. I’ll have to admit, I was scared sh!tless. Kept my gaiters on. My crew didn’t kill any rattlers on my hunts but a crapload of copperheads. Several other groups had rattler encounters.
Martin county, particularly Revelation, has more copperheads than any place I've ever been. Came a little rain one night just before dark. I ran over like 8-9 on side by side on a 2 mile or so stretch of strip road. Hurley shot 7 without moving his feet on one hunt, but that was Perry county, if I'm not mistaken.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Martin county, particularly Revelation, has more copperheads than any place I've ever been. Came a little rain one night just before dark. I ran over like 8-9 on side by side on a 2 mile or so stretch of strip road. Hurley shot 7 without moving his feet on one hunt, but that was Perry county, if I'm not mistaken.

One of the big rattlers they had skinned out they killed right in the road in front of camp just a day or two before I got there. The one big guy, Scott maybe?, told me he had like 28 rattler hides all from rattlers 32-58 inches. He loves to eat them. I’m not much of a snake guy so I was pretty freaked, and yes, at nights copperheads all over those roads.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
One of the big rattlers they had skinned out they killed right in the road in front of camp just a day or two before I got there. The one big guy, Scott maybe?, told me he had like 28 rattler hides all from rattlers 32-58 inches. He loves to eat them. I’m not much of a snake guy so I was pretty freaked, and yes, at nights copperheads all over those roads.
You didn't see the original camp over there. Very old farm house up one of the hollers. They killed a huge copperhead that came out of the ditch just in front of the camp house. It was 47-48". Crazy. Yes, Scott is the big guy. Looks like Braun Strohman. Hurley killed a near 60" rattler 3-4 years ago.

KYCanvasback

Spike
Jan 9, 2014
JR
You are correct about plenty snakes in Clay. The pic I posted earlier in the thread was from Clay Co.
Be interesting to hear dirtstalkers opinion but they seem to be concentrated more in certain areas of the co.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You didn't see the original camp over there. Very old farm house up one of the hollers. They killed a huge copperhead that came out of the ditch just in front of the camp house. It was 47-48". Crazy. Yes, Scott is the big guy. Looks like Braun Strohman. Hurley killed a near 60" rattler 3-4 years ago.

I stayed in an older farmhouse. May not be the one your thinking of. They didn’t have the current outfitter camp open yet. Was being built at the time. Had like a goat farm house across the road that was also family? Everyone had to drive all the way to park at the far end?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I stayed in an older farmhouse. May not be the one your thinking of. They didn’t have the current outfitter camp open yet. Was being built at the time. Had like a goat farm house across the road that was also family? Everyone had to drive all the way to park at the far end?
That was the second camp house. Jerry and his family owned it, and the house across the road you mentioned with the goats. They have fixed the camp house up and moved into it. They never began construction of the new camp house. EPA and other BS.

The original camp house was on Mac and Nellie Branch. That's on 476 back towards hwy 80 from the camp house you were at.

Last edited:

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
Don't remember who...but about 6 months or so ago (maybe a little more) a regular on here had some pics of copperheads he let hang out in his garden...not sure if the rattlers were there, but the area was loaded.... he had some pics. Had an old 1800's farm house on the property.

bowhunter269

12 pointer
Nov 21, 2006
Fisherville, KY
Don't remember who...but about 6 months or so ago (maybe a little more) a regular on here had some pics of copperheads he let hang out in his garden...not sure if the rattlers were there, but the area was loaded.... he had some pics. Had an old 1800's farm house on the property.
That be StoneBranch !!

Brown Dogs Matter

12 pointer
Jun 7, 2004
Louisville, KY.
Yep, pre-cell phone days so no pictures. My hunting buddy and I were setting up on some rocky ground on a sunny but frosty March morning and he was coiled up at the base of a tree with the sun shining on him. My buddy almost reached down to wipe the area to sit and saw him coiled up about silver dollar size. He never made a rattle and my buddy squashed him dead with the butt of his gun without any discussion. I believe they’re protected in TN....
All snakes are technically protected down here. That being said, if it's venomous and around the livestock or house, it's gotta go. We've got plenty of rat snakes around and we've see two kings so far, but none of the expected copperheads or cotton cottonmouths yet. Did see a helluva timber rattler that had been run over in the road last year, up in NE Benton county, near the ferry.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
You guys got me out tin flippin in the yard.

DSC00823 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC00827 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Latest posts