camping trip in June

Discussion in 'Camping' started by KYtrapper2005, Mar 5, 2021.

1. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    If you are camping in June and haven't thought about permethrin, maybe I'll throw some additional suggestions out.
    Water (plenty of water). Cooking stove, pots/pans/utensils. Matches/Lighters. Food (Bacon/Sausage/Eggs/Meat/Taters). Ice....plenty of ice ! Change of clothes and a rainsuit. A tarp in addition to your tents for some form of shade/rain canopy. Chairs. Happy camping !

2. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    We got water, we have 4 zippos, a few box cigarette lighters, and grill lighters, cast iron cookwear and utensils before we go I’ll go shopping everyone going is putting in $10 for food, and I’ll make sure we have tarps ice and a good cooler!

3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Water proof the tent with the aerosol you can find in camping section at Walmart. Get a tarp to go under the tent in case of rain, fold the tarp so it is just a little smaller than the tent floor and make sure all tarp edges are within the outer edges of the tent. Also get some of the heavy duty tent steaks that look like a huge nail with the plastic holders just under the nail head. The flimsy wire steaks that come with the tend stink. Take a quality lantern or two.

4. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Good advice! I’m gonna get a couple oil lanterns (no battery) and a friend has some led lanterns.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Dont forget TP. And a shovel to bury what TP is used for.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Says your 15. Welcome. Three teens? Get rid of electronics. Maybe a nice a young lady to snuggle by the fire? But be gentlemen! If it’s dudes only get some hiking in. Anywhere to fish? Any drivers in the crew? What part of the state? Have fun. You never forget stuff like this.

7. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Yessir I’ll have my phone for emergency uses or of my parents need me. No ladies lol! Guys only were going to walk the creek maybe metal detecting. Yes we will fish! Only 2 with permits.

xbokilla likes this.
  8. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

So people have the basics covered... bug spray, food, water, ladies, ect. Let's talk locations. My wife and i have camped natural bridge several times, and it's beautiful. Natural bridge also has primitive camping if you get a pass (basically just back trail camping - no access to electric, and digging a hole in the ground to poo) then you have plenty of options in Daniel Boone, and red river gorge.... all beautiful , BEAUTIFUL locations

9. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I missed the part about you being 15....That puts a whole different spin on this for me....

Back in my early teens I had three or four buds I'd go camping with. We had one place on a hill overlooking Lake Cumberland that we had made into a nice campsite that we'd use at least two weekends a month during the summer. We had a fire pit, places to hang our Coleman lantern (only 1), a small folding table and some old lawn chairs that would fold up on us if we didn't sit just right. We had trenches dug around where we'd pitch our tent. We would hike for miles back dirt roads that used to exist around the lake. We would fish in the lake and the river (different camp sites). We would gig frogs. We would swim. Whoever said that you'll make memories that will last a lifetime was right. I still remember the good times we had.

The thing I remember doing for hours and hours was shooting my old BB-gun at targets drawn on paper plates and at the old metal Coke cans. Later we graduated to .22 rifles - but we couldn't afford to shoot more than one or two boxes of shells, so we would still bring our BB-guns.

My uncle would take us camping at least once a summer and on those trips he'd always try to teach us something about the outdoors on every trip. On one trip he brought some sections of nylon rope and we spent time Saturday afternoon learning how to tie different knots (he was an old Navy guy). To this day it bothers me when I see someone tie a "granny" knot - even on their shoelaces. That weekend I learned how to tie a "trucker's hitch" - something I use to this day....There were other lessons about trees and plants and snakes and gun safety and first aid....

Hope you enjoy your trip. Hope you learn something new about the outdoors while you are camping.

Let us know how it goes....

barney likes this.
  10. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Thank you everyone! This isn’t anything primitive it’s just three boys (14-16) sleeping in tents down in a hay field. My grandmas house is right there. We are all from Allen county going to barren county. I can drive back to the house if someone wants a blanket or something. This is mostly just getting in nature away from crap in the world. I’m bringing a .22 pistol and a 20ga for critters. We’ll be cooking in cast iron over a fire lots of meat and taters! YUM! I’ll start preparing wood and stuff now because it will be on us soon.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Where you camping in Barren?

12. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    At my grandparents (darrill Lewis)

13. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Right off of 1297 on Blaine Evans rd.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Make sure you have comfy sleeping bunks(blow up bed or comfy cushions). This gets more important as the years roll on.... lol. most of all, have fun, and be safe...

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I know where you're going to be, and I promise I won't show up and try to scare you. lol. or not....