Campers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Farrier85, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Who camps? Kicking around the idea...

Do's and donts on campers Any info appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If you are a beginner, find out what type you think you like, and rent one for a trip or two. If you love it, then think about buying You might decide to try a different one, or you might decide it is not for you. This could save you a bunch of money in the long run. If you only take one or two trips per year, it might be better to rent them anyway.

3. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    That is true and not a bad idea

4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I would invest small at first like a good cheap pop up camper. They are great for camping plus not a huge investment. I would hate to buy a big expensive camper and only go a couple times a year. Small my fit your needs great.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    This.

I started out camping with tents in my youth and my first pull behind camper was a pop up. You can find used ones cheap enough and they are EASY to pull behind you, the bigger taller camper you get the harder AND the more gas you burn.

No mater what trailer you get either rent or buy have them show you how to set it up you will be better off.

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    How often do you camp now? Campers are basically glorified tents. Sure, they have their advantages, but if you don't much enjoy it in a tent, a camper probably won't help improve it much.

7. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    We used to tent camp all the time, loved it. Now the kids are big enough to go camping and I figured I'd rather not sleep on a air mattress and have a shower and John to myself now that I can afford it. We like camping and hiking, kayaking, etc. All our family camps and we've tagged along and tented or crashed in someone else's camper.

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I've lived in a 5th wheel back in my early 20's. Not bad for a single guy. Some of them are nice like the one I stayed in had a slide out that made for more room.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Remember that you'll most likely just be eating & sleeping INSIDE the camper. And you've gotta be able to park it. Lots of the National Parks have restrictions on lengths. We had trouble fitting our 26' fifth wheel in a lot of them. We've got one that slides into our truck bed now & like it a lot better. We've taken off for weeks at a time in it AND just loaded it up for day trips to soccer tournaments. Fits pretty much anywhere & provides shelter & refrigeration & a stove. Oh and a private bathroom & air conditioning if you've got hookups. I'd have probably shot myself if we had it when the kids were LITTLE though - the room in the fifth wheel was a blessing with a couple of toddlers... You could stop for lunch, turn 'em loose in the camper & let 'em run rampant before getting back on the road. Most commercial campgrounds can hold pretty much any size. It just depends on what you're wanting to do. If you go for a towed camper though, I highly recommend a 5th wheel over a tagalong. You get more space for the money & they tend to tow & maneuver easier. (We started with an old 28' tagalong Airstream that we borrowed from the in-laws, bought a 26' fifth wheel which is now our hunting cabin at the farm, and now travel with the slide in camper on the rare occasions we get to hit the road.)