Camp grounds

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Farrier85, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    What camp grounds in ky is a must and a good place for young kids, keeping them outdoors. Yeah cheating and bought em a camper instead of a tent, momma wanted a shower and her own toilet to camp with!!

2. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    The State Parks all have good campgrounds. Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Lake are two of our favorites.

We also like the campground below Wolf Creek Dam. We always spend at least a couple of hours walking around the trout hatchery there....it never gets old. We haven't been since they opened the new fishing development at Hatchery Creek (at the end of the trout hatchery), but it looks like it would be a great place to take kids fishing.

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I always liked camping at the shoreline campgrounds at the lakes like at Rough River and Nolin. But almost all of the lakes have them.

4. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I like green river lake as it isnt surrounded by cabins like rough and nolin. Just makes for better scenery.

5. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Awesome, has any one camped at red river gorge/ natural bridge?

6. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Mammoth Cave.... Cave tours and awesome river floating!

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Just spent the weekend at Hillman's Ferry in LBL. It is the campground we went to when I was a kid and now I am taking my kid and nephews there. There is tons of stuff for kids to do there. Bike trails, swimming area, play grounds, basketball courts, fishing and two boat ramps. If you take a boat Pisgah bay is fun to run around in.

If you can live without electricity and running water you can pay 15 bucks and park your camper just about anywhere and back country camp. There are bunches of places to do that as well at LBL ranging from a flat spot in the woods to established sites. Birmingham Ferry has a handful of established sites with fire rings, picnic tables and lantern hangers. Piney campground is another option at LBL though I have never stayed there so can't comment on how much there is to keep kids busy.

8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've camped at the campground at Natural Bridge before. I didn't love it. The park was nice, I just didn't love the campground. And I do have Koomer Ridge on my list of places to go.

But personally, I don't like campgrounds that are essentially sectioned off fields. In those campgrounds, I feel like I'm camping in the backyard. I prefer campgrounds that offer me something different than that. That's why I prefer lake front campgrounds. Or campgrounds with secluded sites.

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I like the camp grounds at Cumberland Lake's Wolf Creek Dam. Just a short walking distance to the trout stream.

10. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I've been wanting to visit The Breaks.

11. Fat_Matt

Fat_Matt 6 pointer

Dec 28, 2011
    Elsmere, KY
    I've always and still to this day enjoy going to Conley Bottom at Lake Cumberland. Also went to Cave Run as a little kid for a few years and enjoyed that place too.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Used to camp there a lot but it's been years. Drove thru a couple of years ago (there's a trailhead in the campground) and it was like I remembered. Lots of trees & fairly private sites.

DARKCLOUD likes this.
  13. ColbyKiller

ColbyKiller 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2008
    Another vote for Kendall Campground below Cumberland dam. Not sure if they do it anymore but they also used to let you tour inside the dam's generation area. Hard to beat LBL's Hillman's Ferry. Green River is an awesome lake but the campground stays PACKED nowadays. Which could still be good for kids, plenty of other kids to play with.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Like PT I have camped at Natural Bridge before and was not impressed at all. If it is the same the campground is separate from the rest of the park and down the road a bit. We made a motorcycle trip down there once and it was raining when we got there. It was a Saturday when we got there. We parked 10 bikes under the only shelter like the attendant told us to and was ask to move them by another guy because it also served as the church on Sunday.
    We did get one laugh while there. We wanted a campfire and the attendant told us the wood they had for sale was junk and to go up the road to the trading post store where they sold sawmill slabs. Old guy ask $3 a armload and I offered him $3 for all we could load on a bike and he went for it. Once we got it stacked and tied down we had about 3 or 4 large armloads loaded and the guys bike we loaded it on was sitting on the gas tank. I bet we had near half a pickup load on that bike. Old guy just said, I never though yall could load that much wood on a motorcycle....LOL. We gave a lot away to other campers that night so they could have campfires.
    If your thinking about LBL be warned they say the ticks are the worse ever there this year.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    DARKCLOUD likes this.
  15. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Thanks for all the tips guys, we're looking forward to it. Any places out of state that is a awesome go to?