Camp chef vs trager vs pit boss

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by kyoutdoorsman, May 24, 2020.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What pellet smoker do you have ? Why did you choose it over the pit boss or the camp chef, or trager did you buy it because of the name? Any issues that you have with yours

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I just acquired a clogged up non-functioning pit boss pellet smoker in great shape for zero bones. My lovely lady cleaned it out did a little research and it operates like a new. I would say just like with any other smoker that after use cleanup and proper storage will determine the longevity and future performance. Lost for him, Gain for me. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the stuff you’re messing with

barney, bondhu, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    My neighbor just aquired a champ chef 4 burner griddle for free. Guy left it outside and griddle rusted. 400.00 griddle. And a little elbow grease and wire wheel Shazam new griddle

4. I talked to a fella last night who bought one of the nicer Pit Boss upright pellet smokers and he said the worst part of it was if he set it to say 225 degrees it would heat up to 250-270 then drop down below 200, then back up again. I prefer a little tighter temperature regulation.

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Yeah that wouldn't work for me. Hell I can do better than that with wood. Wonder if a fella can get an upgraded thermostat and/or regulator for it?

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I use my Traeger all the time since I got it last fall.

When you first fire it up you will get a temp swing that might go 20-30 degrees higher than what you got it set at. But you will hear the fan ramp down and pellet feed stop until it gets back down to temp. Which once it hits the temp set point ... it will hold it right there. Might vary 5-7 degrees on either side of what you have it set at... but I’ve cooked briskets 18-20 hours straight and will consistently hold the temp you set it at.

The only other time you might get a temp swing is when you got the lid open.... and this would be expected with any of them.

Just my opinion .... but the temp control and software of the Traeger’s or RecTek’s ... are what your paying for. Which I’ve got a frien with the PittBoss vertical smoker .. he has produced good food with it but he has complained about the constant swings in temp.

7. Tankt

Tankt 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I am currently in the market for a new grill. Girlfriend is bringing over her Blackstone. So....the debate is over pellet smoker or regualr grill. Already have 1 smoker but the 10 lbs limit is not ideal

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    If you go the grill route, can't go wrong with a Weber.

9. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    The pellet smoker is also a grill, we grill burgers and dogs about every weekend on our Pellet Grill.
    2 for 1 with the pellet fueled one, and cheaper operated, although my pellets might be cheaper than most people pay for them.;)

barney likes this.
  10. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Hard to beat rural kings price unless you get them free

jblack1 likes this.
  11. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    We sell them to Rural King.

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  12. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Camp chef,traeger,pit boss, rectec, all same cheap china made crap. Buy some blocks and build a pit if want real bbq. Trust me had a good thread about it once.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Slobear we're is the blog about it

14. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Kentuckyhunting.net. It was a while ago, Sunday church cooking.

15. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    You can use the heating pellets and buy flavoring for them, then it doesn't matter what kind of pellets are used.
    I work at a Pellet Fuel Manufacturer.
    We turn sawdust into pellets and then bagged and stacked on a pallet then wrapped and shipped out.