Camera options

Discussion in 'Photography' started by wildman6, Jan 7, 2013.

1. wildman6

wildman6 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    on the lake
    I will be going to ND this October and am curious what camera would work the best for action shots with ducks and geese. I am by no means a photographer more so a point and shoot person. I am wanting some pictures that will be worthy of putting on the wall. What settings do you place your cameras on for action photos and which camera would you recommend?

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Any type of camera will work, for any type of action shots, whether it be ducks/geese or alligators/piranhas. All you have to do is look back at photographs taken many decades ago, in order to support that statement. You can manage phenomenal action shots with a small disposable camera. A great factor is determined by how close you are willing to place yourself near to the action, while other factors exist, as well. If you wish to spend 20k+ on a lens, you can remain distant from the action, but that 20k+ does not guarantee you "the best" action shots. As for settings, if any exist, it varies. The main thing is to simply enjoy the process, without getting yourself hung-up via all the latest technology, pushed by the market. You can manage spectacular shots, worthy of hanging on your wall, regardless of whatever you are shooting with, if, and only if, you desire. I, as well as countless others, have shot with damaged cameras upon plenty of occasions, simply because I frequently place myself and equipment into extremely hostile environments, and although frustratingly challenging, at times, the results can actually be extraordinary. In closing, the answer is that it does not really matter which camera you utilize, provided that you are willing to maximize its potential, as well as that of your own.

3. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Well I can tell you from experience that "any" camera ain't gonna cut it if you want good quality shots. With a professional grade camera with a quality zoom lens, you will still need the birds to be within 40 yards and in to get good quality shots and that's if you have the right light and your on the right settings. Quality grade waterfowl photos do not come cheap nor easy. Can you get lucky and get some good shots with a cheapo camera, yes but if you want consistent quality pics you will need to drop a lil more coin. I know some of the point and shoots have really upped their game in the last few years and you may find something capable of getting you some descent shots. But do some research and homework. I use a Canon D50 with either Canon 100-400 IS (Image stabilization) lens or a 70-200 IS 2.8 with a 1.4 extender on it. Still need the birds inside of 40 to get good photos, the closer the better. A good image can be cropped in Lightroom or Photoshop to draw it closer but any mistakes will be amplified in the finished image. But all that is half the fun of photography. Also put the camera in burst mode, a good photog will take 500 images in a day and keep 3 or 4 of em, looking for perfect light, wing positions, etc. On burst you may get the one you want. Good Luck and enjoy.

aaronc and Lady Hunter like this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I posses a background in outdoor event photography, shooting many over the years. I have shot from within boats during hurricanes, making stabilization more than challenging, to say the least, and I have utilized various cameras and lenses while doing so. I have even super glued the mirror back into one camera, during the midst of all, and believe it or not, an image directly after having done so was selected for a magazine cover, along with my write-up featured as center spread of that particular sporting event. I was not utilizing a 20k+ lens, either, but I have done so. One photograph hanging upon my own wall was taken with an underwater disposable camera, and I am extremely pleased with it. My point is that it does not matter. I also do not believe that those new to photography should be convinced it is necessary to shell out tons of money for their very first camera, because such is simply unnecessary.

5. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

You were talking to a troll,...dont'cha know.