Calls???

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bandit29, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    I know I will get a million answers to this age old ?, but are the high dollar calls worth the money? Has anyone noticed a difference when hunting? I have a Primos original Wench and Yo Sista. Wondering if the calls are worth the money or mostly spread and set up?

2. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    yes in some cases:D i use the zinks and love them.... dont stick, sound great....... but i've yet to hear a duck call made that sounds as real as a duck as an old yetzen..... same with the old (wood not poly) duck commander calls... cant beat the quacks in the timber..... but being dependable..... blown all the time..... better field tested..... hands down those expensive calls win...(they have the money to experiment with them)

3. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    My personal advice is that your high dollar goose calls are worth it. As far as the duck calls go you cant beat an old wench.

4. Ship For Brains

Ship For Brains Fawn

Nov 24, 2008
    The call is only as good as the caller. I dont use a high dollar call because I dont have the skill to get everything out of it.
    If you are just an average hunter I wouldnt spend the money on expensive high end calls.

5. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL

Your high dollars calls goose calls in this case do sound better. You take a caller and have him blow a 25 dollar poly carb zink power clucker and then give him the real power clucker the( pc-1 )and you'll see the difference. The high dollar ones are built to last longer as well. The poly clucker last a year or to, the zink power clucker ( pc-1 ) last many years.

6. Vaught-Farms

Vaught-Farms Spike

Oct 7, 2008
    centertown
    The thing with high dollar calls is the customer service tuning and replacement and warranty. Knowing that i can phone tim grounds or the hudnall guys at zink have my call tuned or fixed and back to me in a week is priceless in my opinion. Try calling primos to get a 25$ call tuned and see if youll even get an answer. the caller does have alot to do with it. Really just depends on what you are trying to do with the call.

7. I love my RNT and I have a custom call built by joey glisson from mayfield, I love both, each one makes a differrent sound. I can get customer service when needed and They sound great. Also the guts last longer, high dollar goose calls are definantly worth it too.

8. Beretta-fan

Beretta-fan 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Salt Lick
    I agree, give me a $150 dollar call and I can make it sound just as crappy as a $15 dollar call. Kinda like a good pool stick, people who are really good can get the most out of it, while I'd be just as well off with a broom handle.:D

9. hooknshoot

hooknshoot 6 pointer

May 31, 2008
    webster,co
    If you got the money buy the high dollar calls and don,t skimp on the the goose calls you will be sorry.Learn how to use the short reed goose call,s

10. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    Which is the better goose call: Zink Paralyzer or Clucker or Tim Grounds calls?

11. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
  12. Vaught-Farms

Vaught-Farms Spike

Oct 7, 2008
    centertown
    Im grounds super mag all wood you cannot have a better call ive had zink and foiles and for hunting and killing geese you need wood to make them commit. Acrylic is nice and all but just to loud, great for getting their attention. i havent found a call that beats ground supermag yet.

13. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    A $150 call will not turn you into a pro overnight but it will allow you to do more as your skills progress. Learn on an el cheapo and go high end when you're ready. There have been times when good calling made the difference in the hunt, but in general I'd put it down the list a ways in terms of importance.

14. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    Can't get the nasty low mur mur on the low $$ goose calls. For ducks, go with a DR85, Wench, Yentzen, or J frame quackhead. Rain X the board and reeds then let er eat.

I have some $$$ calls, what I blow the most hunting, Folies poly Legend. My back up, a custom Miser (Kenny is gone, but the calls live on), and a DR85.

Big R goose call.