Calls

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by GregDeer77, Feb 17, 2016.

1. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Going coyote hunting for the first time this weekend. Any advice of what calls are effective on the electronic caller this time of year?

Thank you all very much!

2. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hey all. Just thought I would touch base again....what are the most effective calls this time of year? Rabbit in distress? Female coyote howl or is the mating season over? Any input is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

3. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    Don't look like its too many Coyote hunters on here any more.
    As far as calls you never know some say howls some say distress. I usely mix it up. Start with some soft howls and then go to a distress. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

Just get out and give it a try. There is no textbook that I know of.

4. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Thank you very much for the input fuzzy. Looking forward to getting after it this weekend!

5. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Coyote vocals: female whimpers,lone female howls and pack howls.If you're hunting nights I'd use baby cottontail or kitten distress depending if it's calm wind.Early morning low light I've been using some Fox calls like fox rally. Coyotes don't like Fox and often respond to run them away-food competition.

6. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Another call that seems to get attention is a crow gathering on the e-caller and using a rabbit distress moth call together.Coyotes think something good is going on and come look.

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I've always used the distress calls but lots of folks swear by howls/coyote vocals in Jan/Feb.

8. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Awesome. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm very new to coyote hunting and just trying to learn the ropes. Looking forward to getting out and gaining experience. Thanks again!