Calling coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by NJohnson, Jan 14, 2021.

1. NJohnson

NJohnson Fawn

Nov 3, 2018
    Verona ky
    How often do you all hunt the same farm when calling in coyotes. And does it matter if you kill one there or not?

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I will comment, but others hopefully will also as Coyote Hunting is a real challenge.
    I used to hunt several farms in my area with some success, and I noticed that if you call in Coyotes and Fire and Miss... that one probably won't come back to a call anymore. But these things just have a way of figuring things out and I think its best to not overall a farm without giving it a break. They Hear the Call....They don't come in....3 hours later they come and check it out....they SMELL you.
    @riverboss is a good coyote hunter..... Wonder what he say.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I hunt the same farms sometimes every weekend, I will let them set for a couple weeks if I shoot one there.
    Usually if you don't call one in it's because they weren't home that day!
    They travel alot and if you kill one another will come in and take it's place in a matter of weeks.

KYBluegill and Semp like this.
  4. NJohnson

NJohnson Fawn

Nov 3, 2018
    Verona ky
    Are you going back to the same set location that you killed a previous one?

5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    The best coyote hunter I know (he sells seed and has permission on thousands of acres in west ky) kills 5+ a week. He makes 2-3 sits day before starting his work day. He says he doesn’t get out of the truck to hunt if they don’t answer to a locator call.

6. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Like riverboss said, it all depends on whether they were home that day and heard your call. On public ground, at a known good location, I hunted the same spot 4 days in a row and killed on the 4th day. They either weren't close enough to hear me the first 3 days at the time I was there or didn't like what I sounded like. (I use hand calls mostly)

Locating the coyotes is the biggest challenge. Cold calling is hit or miss. Mostly miss.

KYote-Krusher, JR in KY and riverboss like this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Yes, I've found you can have a 200 acre farm but one little 2 acre spot will produce on that farm all the time.
    Like deer hunting certain spots just seem to be better.
    I've killed 3 this yr in a month in the same spot.

KYote-Krusher, Semp, NJohnson and 2 others like this.