Calling Coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by onearrow, Dec 24, 2002.

1. onearrow

onearrow Spike

Sep 25, 2002
    Central, KY
    What kind of call do you veteran coyote hunters prefer in the winter? Has anyone tried the electronic call that uses a cd[?]

2. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    onearrow,
    I have used several types of calls over the years, I can't say one is any better than the other. I have my favorites but then again about any call will work at times. If there are not many callers working your area, I would try the ol' reliable yellowhammer woodpecker, fawn or cottontail in distress. CD type callers can be a little touchy, they won't take a lot of dust/dirt and have been known to skip on occasion. I use both blown calls and a J/Stewart 512 e/caller. It may take a little experimentation to find what works for you, just don't give up.

Good calling,
    coyotehunter

3. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    CP, I used to call foxes a lot, what is the "yellowhammer woodpecker". Never heard of it.

4. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    gsp,
    The Yellowhammer Woodpecker is one of the best all around sounds out there for coyotes, fox and bobcats. Johnny Stewart has one on tape, #CT 116C.
    Link:
    http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=30&categoryID=16

Good hunting,
    coyotehunter