Called in with a mouth call

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JR in KY, Feb 8, 2016.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I called this one in with a Ki-Yi mouth call. I bought this when I first started coyote hunting. Didn't call nothing. I lost the little internal O ring...bought one at the auto parts store. ...Totally changed the call for the better. Makes the most pitiful, blood curdling sounds you ever hear and I have killed several with it over the years.
    SAVAGE 204with 40gVMax at 75 yards. Male coyote a couple years old. I ain't giving up my FoxPro, but sometimes a new sound that doesn't sound like anything in particular will be the best thing. This one came up a cliff, stood around at 200 yards for a full minute, then started easing out in the field looking things over from down wind. I just watched him through the scope and MEEEOOOWed him to a stop.>>>>>Dead dog

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    Way to go JR I have a Foxpro also but I believe with all the people getting into coyote hunting you are better off using a mouth call

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on the yote.

Which like y'all I use a Foxpro caller most of the time but I also keep 4-5 mouth calls and a squeaker in my bag.

I've always figured yote hunting a lot like turkey hunting.... sometimes throwing something different out there is all it takes. Which back when most everybody used slate & box calls for turkey...I killed a few with a diaphragm before they got real popular. Now that every body's brother uses a diaphragm ... I'll occasionally revert back to a slates soft call and have had good luck. Especially on pressured birds.

As such ... yote hunting and as popular as it's gotten with electronic calls. Sure don't hurt to give them something different.... tone, pitch .. even cadence can make a difference in getting a response.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

4. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Good job JR. I don't think hurts a thing to use a hand call, I do myself sometimes. Electronic calls have come down in price a bunch, and that's let a lot of people buy them who can now afford them. While that may be a good thing for the hunter, what it most does is to educate the coyotes. I hunt on a big farm with lots of coyote sign, but rarely call one in, and figured I was doing something wrong.....until I found out that a lot of the surrounding land was being hunted by other people. I'm guessing that every coyote in hearing distance has heard every sound FoxPro has. That's why it pays to use other calls and sounds.

5. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Great job. Mouth calls are not used a lot which may be reason to use on occasion.

6. BenBoRo

BenBoRo Fawn

Dec 4, 2015
    UNITED STATES
    Another reason why it's important to use a PROGRAMMABLE electronic coyote call rather than one of those with a small, standard library. I can introduce plenty of novelty to coyotes by adding new sounds to my call library and swapping some out. I don't really use mouth calls any more and do just fine.