called in 2

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Cmattingly, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    I think I followed this right training but had a "buddy"shoot a a yote with her a few feet in front of him a miss the yote.The mussel bast hit her head on.Hell I do not like the sound that close to my ears out front of a gun.Thats why when she comes back she is to go hehind my shoulder so she does not get the mussel blast.And I am new at doing this but sam and myself have decoyed a few.We are going to stay after it and see what happens.You guys stay after them.

2. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Chuck, that sounds like you need to train your buddy then. Like you, I wouldn't want the muzzle blast of a high powered rifle, a shotgun, or a pistol to go off with me out in front of the gun in such a way as to catch that blast right in my ears. If it ever happens, that would be the last time that buddy ever got anywhere close to me with a weapon. I don't even want a fellow hunter to point his weapon towards me when walking from stand to stand, and I'll tell him so real quick. Sam is your dog and it is your business, so you do whatever you think is right. Personally, I would never want to train a decoy dog to go behind me and stay. I might try to train her to set 20 yards or so to the right or left where she could still serve as a decoy dog and be in the right position to respond, but not behind me.