called in 2

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Cmattingly, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    Called in 2 and the dog decoyed them back to 20 yrds but with the dog in front of me I did not shoot,She is going to get some time off so I can teach her to get behind me when she comes back.I hope this only takes about a month.You guys get to calling they are responding.Good luck.

2. Yote59

Yote59 6 pointer

Jul 15, 2011
    South Central KY
    I have been calling my butt off with not luck. What call are you using?

3. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    rabbit in distress and fawn in distress

4. Blue Moon

Blue Moon 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2009
    Paducah, KY
    What kind of fields or terrain are you hunting, Cmattingly? All our fields are full of corn and some beans. Looks to me like you would have to catch them running the edges or something like that. I've seen some signs and I would like to get out there and hunt to try to protect the young ones, but it looks like it would be hard hunting to me. Also, how do you adjust to the heat? I'm used to hunting yotes when it is freezing cold; you wearing turkey hunting clothes?

5. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    I wearing clothes as thin as I can find and do not start calling till 8:45 to 9 pm.I am hunting feilds with cows or ones that have been cut and rolled.I have never hunted the woods,always open fields.

6. Yote59

Yote59 6 pointer

Jul 15, 2011
    South Central KY
    I have the rabbit....but not the fawn.

7. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    What's the idea about training your dog to get behind you when she comes back? Is she gunshy or something?

8. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    The ideal is to not accidentally shoot the dog.

9. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    In my opinion, if you are apt to shoot your decoy dog, you really shouldn't use one. I don't believe you want your decoy dog to go behind you and stay until you shoot. I have never seen any of the knowledgeable dog men have their decoy dog do that. They'll make a little pass behind you, posturing and checking back in all directions, but their main work is out in front of you. You have plenty of chances to shoot the coyote without shooting the dog or shooting right over your dog when he/she is in close to you. This is especially important with a young dog, whether it be a beagle for rabbit hunting, a bird dog for any kind of bird hunting, or a dog for decoying coyotes. You have to train them very carefully from the time they are pups, starting out with a cap pistol, 22 blanks, etc, always associated with something good like a treat or chow time. I have trained a lot of good beagles over the years and never had a gun shy dog. I had a good start on a Yellow Blackmouth Cur and I promise you she wasn't gun shy either.

I was just asking a simple question. No agenda involved.

10. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    And I was just giving a simple answer, didn't intend to run all over anyones training theories.

11. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    No problem, GrouseAssasin. Shooting your dog accidentally is a very real threat rabbit hunting and bird hunting. You don't want to shoot your coyote decoy dog either, but training him/her to go behind you when he/she works a coyote into shooting range is not the perfect scenario.

12. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Its all good, this talk of decoy animals has got me to thinking about using my wifes cat to decoy some yotes in.....I'd feel awful if I accidentally shot one of my dogs or a coyote tore them up....the cat not so much. It'd be perfect, if it went "right" I'd get to whack a few nuisance critters, if it went "wrong", still be rid of a nuisance critter.

13. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Does it make me a bad person that I just laughed out loud at the above statement? :D

14. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    Al, Chucks taking the advise from a seasoned dog handler. when the dog returns with the coyotes in tow, she falls in behind the gun, rather than in front at your feet, which is what she's been doing, so that she doesn't have a hi powered rifle going off a foot above her head which is very unpleasant for the dog. Right now it's a toss up as to who's training who. This is Chuck's first attempt at breaking a dog to hunt & I think He's learning a lot more from her than she is from him:)

15. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Dale, that sounds like advice from a seasoned dog handler who is trying to help a gunshy dog get over a problem. If you introduce your pup to the gun properly, you shouldn't have to go through that. The dog's owner doesn't always cause the pup to be gunshy, but in a big percentage of the cases involving gunshy dogs, it is the owner's fault for not following the right steps from puppy stage on.