Call Volume

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by shadow, Feb 12, 2014.

1. shadow

shadow Fawn

Dec 12, 2003
    Morehead, KY.
    I am hunting on open ridge fields with deep wooded hollows around. I have a Primos Turbo Dogg. How loud should I be calling? Have seen signs of coyotes but not seen any during calling. New to this, but already addicted!

2. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Start out low for a few minutes, then turn it up some. If you hear it echoing it's too loud.

3. shadow

shadow Fawn

Dec 12, 2003
    Morehead, KY.
    I try to listen for an echo, and turn it down if I hear one. I know I am hunting "used" ground. I have seen tracks in mine returning to the truck and had them barking at me last weekend. I figure the iced over snow had something to do with that, I am an XXL guy and sounded like an elephant going through the snow. I would just like to see a song dog, I know they are in the area. Hitting it in the morning in Fleming county with my son.

4. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    keep it at it man, I don't know if you have put any fur down or not, but I still haven't...and I ain't giving up yet.

I have been playing with sound volume the last few times I have been out. Opening weekend of bobcat season it was very windy and I had the volume as loud as my call would go, and I did call in a bobcat. Much like you I also pay attention to the echo, but unlike you I though the echo was doing me justice. I don't think there is a correct answer to how loud to call, there is way too many variables to take into account. '

Good luck fellow song dog killing enthuist...

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    My opinion on the echo is it makes it harder for the coyote to come to a call if he's hearing it from multiple directions.

6. shadow

shadow Fawn

Dec 12, 2003
    Morehead, KY.
    Still looking for my first kill. Had a bobcat come in right at first of season, but spooked it when my remote fell off my lap. I guess they don't like that sound, lol. I have since made a braided lanyard for my remote so that won't happen again. Learn by our mistakes, right?

7. LyonWeaver

LyonWeaver Spike

Nov 19, 2013
    Lyon County
    Hey guys. I've had a lot of luck lately with the whitetail fawn for 2-3 minutes, adjusting the volume up and down the whole time. Then I change to a dying crow or crow fight for 1 minute. If you get a few crows squawking over you call that adds to the realism. I'm successful 1 out of every 5 stands with it the last few weeks.
    Keep mixing it up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I know the feeling, fall shotgun turkey, I was doing a morning on my uncle's property, I awoke before dawn and got into my respected stand, my girlfriend decided to sleep in and joined me a couple of hours later. We had some decoys out and was doing my best turkey yelps ever so often. (side note this was my first time using a slate call) About 9:30 or so I see something walking parallel to the woods, and my heart dropped when I realized that it was coyote. With this being only my second and last sighting of a coyote, I fumbled greatly. I woke up my girfriend who after sleeping in was still tired or bored, and tried to hand her the call, which we dropped during the handout and then I manage to knock over my can of dr. pepper, by this time the coyote is looking behind his shoulder at us. AND then my buddy pulls up in the polaris to pick us up because breakfast was done.

All of this happened in like the last twenty minutes of my turkey stand. I had an execellent adrenalina rush though.

9. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I have taken Ed's advice since he give it to me. I don't run the caller loud enough to where it echos. However, I don't use a ecaller very often either. But when I do, I keep it at a level where it doesn't echo.

10. Thunder Head

Thunder Head 8 pointer

Last two years I have been turning it on low for 2 minutes, then jacking the volume way up. Its been about 50/50 with the dogs coming in immediately or about 1 min. after I turn it up.

11. I usually go low for 5-8 min then high for 1 min and back to medium then back to low. All total I make it work for 20-30 minutes.

12. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    Pretty much the same as me. I like to start kinda soft.....you never know what might be close by you. Come out of the gate blasting and you might just scare something off.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk