Calipari forever

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by muddhunter, Apr 1, 2019.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Pj, Johnson, Herro, obviously Travis, and ill say Hagans. I could also see baker transfer (Although I hope not). I think everyone else will stay. Need to get some more recruits

2. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Herro and Johnson.

3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

But, but, but, Coach Cal can't win a championship with new recruits.

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    UK knows a lifetime contract with him isn't as long as it sounds. He will retire within 10 years I'll bet.

5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    What I saw said 10 year coaching contract and paid university ambassador after retirement. So keeps him coaching here until he retires.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Nothing wrong with what UK did contract wise. Might as well be Cal coaching for 10-12 more years. Who else would they replace him with anyways that is as good or better for UK? He has been good for UK and most all programs would be happy to accomplish half of what he has done with UKs program. Everyone wants to win it all every year but it just doesn’t happen now. Just lucky to be in the talk for a championship almost yearly. Only a few teams can say the same.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    More than likely within less than 5 years.... unfortunately

ojibwa62 likes this.
  8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I’m just yanking your chain buddy. You seem like a good sport. Figured you can handle it!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Did anyone think it was curious that Barnhardt's name wasn't mentioned in the articles (at least the ones I saw) announcing the "lifetime" contract for Cal?

Normally the article would say something like, "University of Kentucky Athletic Director Mitch Barnhardt announced today that John Calapari...."

Anytime Stoops gets a contract extension Barnhardt's name is in the article as much as Stoops....

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Rex Chapman aid last night that PJ Washington made an extra 9 million plus by coming back to school

11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I know that , it's all good... Besides if I can just one Hockey convert out of here my job is done..

I would suggest watching the Stanley cup playoffs , there is nothing like playoff hockey the intensity goes up another notch..:cool:

muddhunter likes this.
  12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I was not a PJ fan last year. Hell I still don't have a clue why the boy can't make foul shots but his 3 point shooting this year is the main reason his stock has taken off. He's not going to be a post player in the NBA but he is no longer a liability from behind the arc.

13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Cant speak for UK..... but most public universities have a budgeted salary allocated to their coaches & staff ....just as they would any faculty or staff member. This amount concerning coaches like Calapari and schools like UK is trivial to their contracts and honestly what is in control of the AD. Which this is where universities athletic foundations come into play to provide additional monies to attract & retain. The foundations (in my opinion) basically exist to circumvent the system as they don't have to follow the same rules the university does and acts like a private donor more than anything else.

So....just speculating here..... Barnhardt may have had very little to do with this lifetime contract & incentives as to reasoning why he wasn't mentioned. Which in the case of Stoops... his contract is not in the same area code as Calipari's and could be a case where the university is footing the majority percentage of his contract.

All in all.... appointed boards & foundation monies govern universities....and absolutely rule athletics.

14. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Agree with all you said....still....most universities announce contract extensions through the AD.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Agree with what Ed said. I’d say he’s at UK 5 or less. I mean a contract means nothing except their loyalty to him. He can go when he wants. I don’t like the NBA but feel Cal has some unfinished business there and will give it one more shot before it’s all said and done.