CA Dual Shock: LA Gas Prices Spike Above $5 As Residents Learn Solar Panels Don't Work In Blackouts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EC, Oct 11, 2019.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    But the Spotted Owls are safe and snug.

==================

California Hit By Dual Shock: LA Gas Prices Spike Above $5 As Residents Learn Solar Panels Don't Work In Blackouts

Thu, 10/10/2019 - 22:05

Millions of Californians may have just suffered an unprecedented, induced blackout by the state's largest (and bankrupt) utility, PG&E, just so it isn't blamed for starting even more fires causing it to go even more bankrupt... but at least the price of gas is soaring.

According to Fox5NY, citing figures from AAA and the Oil Price Information Service, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in Los Angeles County was $4.25 on Wednesday, 4.5 cents higher than one week ago, 57.6 cents more than one month ago and 37.1 cents greater than one year ago. It has also risen 86.4 cents since the start of the year. What is more troubling is that as California gas prices reached the highest level in the state since 2015, some Los Angeles area gas stations are charging more than $5 a gallon.

The gas price spike started last month after Saudi Arabia oil production facilities were attacked, and accelerated after three Los Angeles-area refineries slowed or halted production due to maintenance issues and no imported gasoline was available to make up for the shortfall, according to Jeffrey Spring, the Automobile Club of Southern California's corporate communications manager.

The shortage was made worse after local refineries cut back production of summer-blend gasoline in anticipation of switching to selling the winter blend beginning Nov. 1.

But wait, there's more: America's most "environmentally conscious" state got a harsh lesson in electrical engineering when many of the tens of thousands of people hit by this week's blackout learned the hard way that solar installations don't keep the lights on during a power outage.

That, as Bloomberg reports, is "because most panels are designed to supply power to the grid, not directly to houses. During the heat of the day, solar systems generate more juice than a home can handle. However, they don’t produce power at all at night. So systems are tied into the grid, and the vast majority aren’t working this week as PG&E cut power to much of Northern California to prevent wildfires."

Of course, the only way for most solar panels to work during a blackout is pairing them with batteries, however as Tesla has found out the hard way, that market is just starting to take off and even so it's having a very difficult time making headway. The largest U.S. rooftop solar company, Sunrun, said hundreds of its customers are making it through the blackouts with batteries. Alas, the total number of those affected - and without power - is in the hundreds of thousands.

"It’s the perfect combination for getting through these shutdowns," Sunrun Chairman Ed Fenster said in an interview. He expects battery sales to boom in the wake of the outages.

For those wondering if their appliances can work of the power generated by a Tesla, the answer is no, at least without special equipment. Incidentally, without electricity, a Tesla itself won't run. So those Californians who still have "uncool" internal combustion engines are in luck; they just may have to pay nearly $6 per gallon soon to fill up.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...ike-above-5-residents-learn-solar-panels-dont

2. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    All I can think of is Ha Ha!

3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Be careful fellas. This very well could cause a mass exodus from that state. Those folks bring their liberal policies with them.

davers and 00noturkey like this.
  4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I hope they run into the Pacific like lemmings and not migrate East.

barney, JR in KY and EdLongshanks like this.
  5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    migrate east!! scary. its happening already. those that leave calafornia, to get away from the BS, push the same agenda, when they go somewhere else.
    strange but true. those that left louisville, to get out in the country, start changing the country to match what they just left. they tried to push a law, in spencer co. where you are only allow 1 chicken per acre..[get out of town],, apparently they did, and brought the lunacy with them. 1 chicken per acre??,, only a city slicker can think like that.. or maybe a politician..

Carl likes this.
  6. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Say what?? 1 chicken per acre??

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    We need to pass laws not allowing ANY B.S. per acre.

00noturkey and Carl like this.
  9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Thomas Massie runs his house with solar and Tesla batteries. I don't know what other equipment you'd need besides and inverter though.

00noturkey likes this.
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    First of all, thank you for the video!
    Secondly, Massie is very intelligent and not everyone has that intelligence nor the capital to build such a home. The woodwork was absolutely amazing! That boiler room was equally impressive. He is one in 10 million. I wish more politicians or even just plain ordinary people were like him.

It was a very inspiring video.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Well, actually that lemming thing was some of the first televised propaganda.

12. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    its true. if it were not so, i wouldnt tell ya so. i have trouble remembering things, so i gotta say what i can remember.. i.e. if you tell a lie, ya got to remember what ya said.. so, its a hard row to hoe, but i say what i think or know to be true at the time i say it. it saves time, or brain cells that others use to make up stuff. them that do this dont realize, that others remember what they said. the article was in the spencer magnet, taylorsville, ky.. i remember it raised an uproar. should it turn out it were 5, i still believe it was 1.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Didn't Massie go to school at MIT?

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Oh, I believe ya. My statement was more of a "you gotta be kidding" outrage statement. We live in a society where we are just expected to roll over to control freak idiots...because these idiots skate by without ramifications to their moronic and control freak actions. We need to quit submitting to BS...like our ancestors used to practice.