C.O. Ability to question you while hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jordanc57, Nov 14, 2014.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Yes sir you are correct.

Guess I had it in my mind that it was the other way around and KSP had absorbed it. But remember reading some of the ethics stuff involving some of the expenses with boats bought for water patrol. All I can say is I slept since then....LOL.

Been a lot of discussions on a whole lot of stuff involving KDF&WR over the years. Much of it seems to run together anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. crestliner200

crestliner200 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2008
    A Hunter Hunter.
    Dang I was wanting to see how long it took for him to realize this. I even put a hint in my very first post.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    You obviously suspected something and reported it to the proper authorities. They handled the manner as required. If there is no suspicion if a crime, why should someone be contacted by the authorities? Unless the authorities are contacted by someone, or if they witness or suspect a crime, I don't see why they have the authority to indiscriminately stop law abiding citizens.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I have to admit .... I came close to mentioning that you were a CO. But honestly it was getting too enjoyable to rat you out like that.

But ... one thing for certain after reading many comments / attitudes in this thread .... I'll remember you and all the Co's in my prayers that God grant you safety but also plenty of patience.

Because without a doubt I don't have enough to do the job your trying to do for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I will also pray for each and every law enforcement officer and their safety. I have a different philosophical outlook, but in no way do I not respect the hard and often times, dangerous job that they do.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. cburton

cburton 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2014
    AWWWW man I wish had killed out earlier so I could have got in on this sooner!!!!

New topic what about the ROAD HUNTERS???????

To all CO's.... please pull over any truck, car, tractor, UTV, ATV and bicycle in and around my farm including myself.

Thanks

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Of all the LEO's the CO's have the worse job of all. Other than checking fishing license 99% of those contacted are armed.

8. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I've got nothin but love for COs. Spencer county CO back in the day ran folks off my place routinely.

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Its pretty bad but many would rank working in a prison all day every day as worse..Most cops who and I do mean most who take a prison job don't seem to last long before they go back to being a cop..I helped trained close to a dozen in different prisons..Two made it past a year last I checked.Though most don't think of correctional workers as LEO's anyway..When you work for the state dept of corrections you are absolutely the lowest of the low men on the pole and treated as such. The bureau is the only ones that treat employees half way decent.
    I always felt a certain kinship in one way with wardens..their job is almost as thankless as ours :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  10. crestliner200

crestliner200 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2008
    A Hunter Hunter.
    I agree with this WHOLE HEARTILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there done both.,

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea, Im starting to think Ive worked with you??? In fact Im just about sure I did..:D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  12. crestliner200

crestliner200 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2008
    A Hunter Hunter.
    Thank you. I and all my fellow COs and LEOs need all the prayer we can get.
    Most of the time we are never Thanked for the job we do but I guarantee every Officer's day it made when just one person stops and says Thank you for what you do. I can't speak for all officers but for myself and the ones I work with. We try our best to do as good a job as we can. The attitudes on this thread are dealt with on a daily basis. If we were not able to ask for a license, permit or check a killed deer at anytime we could not do our jobs. I know people who would never buy a license or tag if they knew the CO could not check to see if they had one.
    The only question I ask of the ones who think we should not be able to check their license at any time is this. At what point do you think we should be able to check a license or tag? WHen would it not infringe on your rights? Legitimate questions I think. When you come up with your answers then please think of how your answers could be exploited by the ones trying to skirt the system. There are some that do not buy anything now, can you imagine what it would be like if it was the way some in this thread want it. I'm not trying to make anyone mad or anything like that. Just stating my view.

13. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Here's my $0.02:

Ed, not picking on you, just throwing out a question to think about. You keep mentioning that you don't see why CO's have the authority to stop law abiding citizens who are actively hunting. I'm not looking for an answer this is just something to think about.

So here's the question:
    How are the CO's supposed to know they are stopping a law abiding citizen if they can't check to see if that citizen is in fact following the law by having, and carrying the proper "documentation" to exercise their "right" to hunt and fish in Kentucky, which is subject only to statutes enacted by the state legislature, and administrative regulations adopted by the designated state agency, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife, to preserve the future of hunting and fishing while promoting wildlife conservation and management? :confused:

14. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Most co's are nice guys. Yes iv ran into some absolute a$$holes but i just try to be a bigger a$$hole when i run into those guys. Me and a buddy and 3 kids were checked sunday morning and that particular co was a great guy. He drove through our field to talk to us cause we were parked up next to the woods just shootin the breeze. He had checked us before turkey and deer hunting. He asked how are season was going and if we had killed anything. We told him what all we had killed then he told us about a 140 inch deer on other side of our property that he had just seen. We tried to get him to let us put the kiddos on the back of his truck and let the kids smoke him from the road. He just laughed. He never checked our liscenses or anything. We talked about trapping and other things. I dont even know his name but hes a fine fellar and very polite. Hes welcome at our camp anytime. Im assuming the reason he didnt ask for tags and stuff is he had checked us before and we were always legal. I enjoyed talking to him. There was a time i woulda took off running and hid under a log when i saw him coming but thats no way to roll imo.

15. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I just don't understand some of you guys. You want the police to be more effective by doing less. You want us to be reactive instead of proactive and still be more effective. I supervise over 30 officers and if you guys can tell me how to accomplish this, I'll make it happen tomorrow!

I struggle with this issue everyday. I am 100% for protecting the constitutional rights of citizens, I am 100% against the government infringing upon those rights. I'm one of the most conservative people you'll ever meet, hell I'm just a little to the right of Gangus Kahn!! Lol. However, I also understand that we do not live in a completely peaceful society and if left unchecked, the wicked will over run the weak.

I hear the argument that the constitution grants the right to free travel. Well that's true, it does. You can take off walking until your feet fall off and you have the right to do that un infringed. However, if you choose to do your traveling by operating a motor vehicle, that is no longer a right, it is a privilege. When you choose to use that privilege, whether you know it or not, you agree to certain terms. You agree to obtain an operator's license, register your vehicle and pay taxes on it, have insurance on your vehicle, and operate your vehicle within the laws of the state you're driving in. You also agree that if you're arrested for DUI, you'll submit to a chemical test. It's called implied consent. This is why your license will be suspended for simply refusing to submit to a chemical test.

The SCOTUS has ruled that traffic safety check points are legal. Now whether you agree with them or not, they are effective. How many lives have been saved by using check points to apprehend impaired drivers? There's no way to answer that but I would argue that countless lives have been saved. I have also seen numerous other types of criminals apprehended at checkpoints. Including a man that had just murdered two people. It hadn't even been reported yet and had it not been for the checkpoint, those murders may still be unsolved today! I've been through numerous checkpoints and if you have all your ducks in a row, you're through in just a matter of seconds. To me that's not too big of a price to pay for something that may save the lives of one of my family members. Especially when driving isn't a constitutional right in the first place.

That being said, I am completely against any LEO overstepping their constitutional authority. However, what some of you are bitching about isn't overstepping, it's just officers trying to do a job that is very difficult to do.