C.O. Ability to question you while hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jordanc57, Nov 14, 2014.

1. atb1180

atb1180 Fawn

Oct 29, 2013
    Not really, I would just show them my license, registration, and insurance and go on my merry way

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I think you're confused about some things. What makes you think police officers are "supposed" to have a signed search warrant to conduct a traffic safety checkpoint? As a 17 year police officer, I can assure you that is absolutely not true! I can provide case law if you like. Operating a motor vehicle on a highway, like hunting, is a privilege, not a right. I know the right to hunt/fish law was passed but it still has to be done legally.

3. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    That type of attitude is so sad. It's also why there are so many problems with abuse of power these days. If you don't know and exercise your rights as a US citizen, you may as well not have any!!

Again, not saying that anyone should be confrontational with officers. Just wish more people valued what we were given in the Bill of Rights.

4. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    A safety checkpoint can be conducted anywhere, anytime. However, a citizen doesn't have to submit to any inquiries from the officers unless there is a search warrant. (Don't have to roll windows down, answer questions, etc).

5. atb1180

atb1180 Fawn

Oct 29, 2013
    People with the attitude you have towards CO's and other officers are usually the ones that have something to hide. I would actually like to see CO's check licenses more often . Doesn't bother me a bit .

6. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    I can see how someone may think that. I've never been checked while I've been out, but if/when I am, I will be good to go. I guess I sound like a criminal, but I just value my privacy more than others, I suppose.

7. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Again, you're a little mistaken. If your are stopped at a legal traffic stop, the SCOTUS has ruled that traffic safety checkpoints are legal traffic stops, then you must produce a valid operators license, proof of insurance, and vehicle registration upon request. If you pulled up to a checkpoint and refused to produce an operators license, that's fine. I would then place you under arrest for no operators license and remove you from the vehicle if you refused to exit and I would be completely within my constitutional authority to do so. I'm one of the most easy going cops you'll ever meet and I am 100% against violating anybody's constitutional rights but you are completely wrong on this issue. Again, driving is a privilege, not a right. There's a big difference.

8. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I appreciate the COs....and State Troopers and Sheriffs and Deputies. If one of them wants to see my hunting license or drivers license, I'm happy to comply. I do not see them as "the enemy," I see them as friends. I respect them, because for the job they do, they deserve to be respected.

9. kyboydbowhunter

kyboydbowhunter 8 pointer

Sep 21, 2011
    I completely believe check points are against our constitutional rights, they are an inconvenience to every one that pisses there hard earn money away to taxes that provide handouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

4th Amendment seems to have holes you can drive an F250 through when it comes to COs.

11. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    A police officer has the right to pull you over just to check to see if your license, ins., and registration are all kosher. The CO has the same right in the woods while you are hunting, or doing anything else that would constitute you needing a lic., etc to do thay activity. If you are not hunting or participating in any kind of activity that would cause you to need a license, tag, etc., you don't have to show them anything. There is a fine line there that many people don't understand. Its really not that confusing when you really think about it.
    Most of the time it is best just to cooperate and allow things to go smoothly without any problems. Remember, they are law enforcement and are approaching people they dont know who have guns. They don't know who hates them and who likes them. Just show them respect and they should do the same.

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

No,that police officer doesn't have the right to pull you over just to check. No probable cause...bad cop...no donut.

13. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    That's what I'm trying to say! Plain and simple....it is not a right to hunt and fish just like it is not a right to drive a car. Those are things you choose to do and there is nothing wrong with them making sure your playing the game the way you should.

14. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I am against crime period. That being said, pulling people over because a bulb is burned out is nothing more than a fishing expedition. Writing speeding tickets is mostly to generate revenue.
    I'd respect the law and officers more if I saw them pulling people over for tailgating, cutting in front of a person who's trying to maintain the proper separation distance, and people swapping lanes to get 20 ft further down the road. You won't see though. So, I'm kinda with the camp of leave people alone if they aren't behaving badly.
    I understand a society needs rules. I just feel we have a few to many stupid rules that carry severe penalties.
    So, when feasible, freedom and liberty should prevail.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Jd I love you but couldn't disagree more. Co's are granted soooooo much authority....it basically throws the constitution out the window. They are given the ability to enter private property without a warrant. They are allowed to "contact" the general public without due cause. They can basically do whatever they want. For what? Let's not act like they fund themselves from busting poachers and trespassers (the bad guys). They overwhelmingly get their money from license fees and from citing basic infractions.