C.O. Ability to question you while hunting

Racor

Fawn
Mar 23, 2005
Bowling Green, KY
I've been checked by a CO while hunting. Basically I Was checked on public lands one time coming back to truck after a long day in the stand, no problem, good guy. Was checked years earlier just before going pheasant hunting, again no problems good guy - actually got the name of a guy that eventually gave me permission to deer hunt his farm. Both times were back in south-central Ohio mid 90s.

I'd like to thank all the COs and LEOs for the jobs they do. We hear about the bad stories but rarely do we hear about the thousands of good deeds they do on a daily basis. I've been blessed to know many LEOs and a few COs, I also have lost a couple friends while in the line of duty. Again I thank you for the job you do everyday!

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
A CO coming to your land to check your license is nothing like being strip searched for no reason.

I didn't say the two were alike. I'm just asking how far are we willing to go feel safe? How far are you willing to go to stop a law breaker? Is there a limit and if so were do you draw the line? We can stop many more crimes if we give up more freedoms. Are you willing to do that?

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Good luck getting your answer because I ask this earlier but seems no one can come up with personal experiences where they were out hunting and a Conservation Officer just happened by , while out for a stroll, and checked their license and tag.
I will tell you this tho. I can about guarantee you that the officers I work with will only be in the woods if they have a complaint ,on said farm, of something illegal happening because they don't want to mess up a legal sportsman's chances of killing a deer.

Isn't that the way it should be? At least on private land. If some COs are not doing it this way then why?

crestliner200

6 pointer
Sep 5, 2008
A Hunter Hunter.
Isn't that the way it should be? At least on private land. If some COs are not doing it this way then why?
I can not say why, If any are. You are the one complaining about it and I would figure you could at least tell me one instance where you have had it happen to you. If YOU or ANY of the others saying COs are running rampant would at least give some instances it might add integrity to your complaint. So far all I've heard is belly aching that someone might abuse this power. Sorry if this ruffles your feathers but dang at least give me something to ponder on instead of MIGHT HAPPEN.
This is not an attack on you just discussion. I would be laughed out of court if my cases were brought before them and all I had was the amount of evidence this thread has. Facts, facts and more facts not speculation, speculation and more speculation.
I agree on our rights and standing up for them til the end but if we live on what might happen then what a life we will have.

Last edited:

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I can not say why, If any are , they are doing it that way. You are the one complaining about it and I would figure you could at least tell me one instance where you have had it happen to you. If YOU or ANY of the others saying COs are running rampant would at least give some instances it might add integrity to your complaint. So far all I've heard is belly aching that someone might abuse this power. Sorry if this ruffles your feathers but dang at least give me something to ponder on instead of MIGHT HAPPEN.
This is not an attack on you just discussion. I would be laughed out of court if my cases were brought before them and all I had was the amount of evidence this thread has. Facts, facts and more facts not speculation, speculation and more speculation.

I will repeat this...I'm not saying this is happening to me. I am responding to questions and comments I have read. I'm not belly aching about anything. Just trying to get a straight answer about what power COs have. The way its stated makes it seem they had more power an other LE. I don't care who you are what your job is. There are limits to the power they are given. So just answer my question. Can you, by law, park on someones property and without any tip or suspicion of any laws being broken, just look around in hopes of someone breaking a law? Not asking if you do this. Just legally can you do it?

sheperd

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2003
Bardstown, Ky
I can not say why, If any are. You are the one complaining about it and I would figure you could at least tell me one instance where you have had it happen to you. If YOU or ANY of the others saying COs are running rampant would at least give some instances it might add integrity to your complaint. So far all I've heard is belly aching that someone might abuse this power. Sorry if this ruffles your feathers but dang at least give me something to ponder on instead of MIGHT HAPPEN.
I agree on our rights and standing up for them til the end but if we live on what might happen then what a life we will have.

There are a lot of ifs in this world. If we allow gun registration it might end up with confiscation. Thats a big if to ponder. Why even allow the possibility? If the subject is even brought up then it has happened. If none of the co's do this then why is it such a big deal for it to be legal?

sent from the doghouse

crestliner200

6 pointer
Sep 5, 2008
A Hunter Hunter.
I will repeat this...I'm not saying this is happening to me. I am responding to questions and comments I have read. I'm not belly aching about anything. Just trying to get a straight answer about what power COs have. The way its stated makes it seem they had more power an other LE. I don't care who you are what your job is. There are limits to the power they are given. So just answer my question. Can you, by law, park on someones property and without any tip or suspicion of any laws being broken, just look around in hopes of someone breaking a law? Not asking if you do this. Just legally can you do it?
I will tell you this we are held to the same constraints as any other LEO in the state. If I see you hunting then yes I can but also the law pertains to ALL Fish and WildLife employees. Read the KRS it says , if I'm not mistaken, all employees of the department so this is also Fisheries ( sampling streams) and Wildlife. So is Fisheries and WIldlife also infringing on your Rights when they come on your property or is it just a Law Enforcement thing? Answer that question for me since I answered yours.

jtgrin2

6 pointer
Oct 14, 2009
So the OP simply asked a simple straight forward question. it took forever and a day to get an answer. why does everyone think you are a law breaker if you ask a question pertaining to the law? why does everyone assume you hate COs because you are asking about their powers? I personally follow all game laws but since i have a different opinion and have questions about the law im instantly against COs and im up to no good. people act like your a no good poacher if u say COs shouldnt be allowed on private property without reasonable suspicion of illegal activity. The argument seems to be "give me an instance where a CO came onto your private property to check your license." theres no need for anyone to provide an example. The issue is that it is legal whether it happens or not. we are saying we dont agree that a CO should be able to do that. if COs dont do it that doesnt mean that we should keep it legal. if the majority thinks its a bad law then i guess we ought to stand up and fight to change it. Finally some have come out of the closet and admitted to being COs and finally they started answering questions instead of instigating arguments. oh but they dont want to hurt any feelings blah blah blah, right after they get their digs in. we forget that we are all sportsmen on here and we all obviously love hunting or we wouldnt spend our time on this forum. granted there are probably some poachers on here but i think the vast majority of us are law abiding hunters who love the sport. I cant speak for everyone else but im not against COs. I am against a law that says they can come onto my property without reasonable suspicion. I would guess that COs are like most law enforcement officers in that they get most of their convictions from tips from the public. If you are a CO please confirm this. Im sure they arent riding around looking for stuff to do and someones hunt to ruin on private property. everyone on here knows a spot lighter or poacher in their town and im sure the COs know them as well. Id say the vast majority of their time is spent catching these few people. the only belly aching i have seen on this thread is people trying to say someone who doesnt want their private property messed with for no good reason is a low life who hates the government. im highly confused why a CO would read this thread, omit that hes a CO, argue, and then finally a week later start answering the original question which would have prevented all of this in first place. i guess this is what internet forums are for. ppl stir the pot and like to make a game out of it when really we could all become more informed if people would not take offense to every little thing and read further into things than they should. i think most on here are adults but if you read this thread it appears to be a bunch of children looking for a school yard fight on an internet forum

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
I'm not going to start demanding a lawyer if a cop wants to search my truck after pulling me over. That's just insane to me that people would do that.

One of the great things about your rights is that you can freely give them up if you want. As long as it's you making that choice, no one will complain.

The idea behind speaking to a lawyer is to preserve your rights from a rogue officer who wants to deny you your rights. If, in this hypothetical traffic stop, this officer wanted to confiscate your guns, would you freely give them up?

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I will tell you this we are held to the same constraints as any other LEO in the state. If I see you hunting then yes I can but also the law pertains to ALL Fish and WildLife employees. Read the KRS it says , if I'm not mistaken, all employees of the department so this is also Fisheries ( sampling streams) and Wildlife. So is Fisheries and WIldlife also infringing on your Rights when they come on your property or is it just a Law Enforcement thing? Answer that question for me since I answered yours.

If they are sampling streams and such I see no problems but I think it would be wise for them to notify the land owner. I worked part time for a power company once and we had to get permission to cross peoples property. I don't think sampling fish is stepping on any personal freedoms but others may feel differently. There is a difference in taking fish samples and looking to question someone about their personal business.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Seems like that to me also.

So you think someone is wanting to hide something? I hear the exact same thing from people that don't understand why I don't want my guns registered. They say, "what do you have to hide". I also doubt most would like being pulled over by LE for random searches. I know many people were upset when they found the NSA was eavesdropping. Why? Do you have something to hide? A person does not have to have something to hide because they want personal freedoms kept intact. You do not get these things back once you lose them. If a person can not understand these basic principle then there is no hope for us as a country.

Latest posts