Button to Booner

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tilster, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    IT seems weird the deer lost points from one side to the other and different rack characteristics each year. I have a hard time believing all of those pictures are the same deer without it being tagged.

2. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    I also noticed the black patch of fur on his nose made a spade point into the white ring around his nose. However some years the white went all the way around & the following year it didn't. Then it did again. I think that was around the 9-10-11 stretch.

I'd need to hear/read/see more concrete proof that's the same deer in every pic. It seems that info exists according to some of you. Where can I see it?

Regardless, those were magnificent pics & a beautiful buck!!

3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I agree on the lack of a collar ect for an ID but we should all share this link on FB and other websites to make more people aware that bucks don't grow bigger in freezers.

Maybe, just maybe a few more guys will let small and average bucks walk. It gets frustrating when you let one walk and five minutes later it gets shot!

I am like lots of people who might try to wait on a decent buck but sometimes when you pass on one and someone else doesn't ; it makes you want to give up and shoot what's available.

4. Buzz151

Buzz151 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2014
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

5. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    My question is on all that acreage and all those deer how can they know its the same deer. Only way to really prove their point is with captive deer. I do believe what they say about age progression and improvement until decline, just cant be sure they are all the same deer. Tickled me when I saw a basket rack buck killed by a good ol boy a while back and he was trying to convince me it was an old buck in decline, which it obviously was a 1 1/2 yr old, easy to tell by its immature frame. I let him believe what he wanted to believe. LOL

6. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    The big nontypical I had last year did the same thing,switching his typical and nontypical sides from 2.5 to 3.5. Also at 2.5 he had points coming off both bases that were not there at 3.5

7. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    The buck taken on a farm we hunt lost points on one side and gained on another. The double throat patch was his true giveaway.

8. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    The slato wildlife center in Frankfort has the sheds off a buck they had in captivity for 13 years. It's rack was not that big but you can see what a difference age makes.