Bull Archery help

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by 1wildcat1, Aug 7, 2018.

1. 1wildcat1

1wildcat1 Fawn

Aug 4, 2018
    Kentucky
    Hello. I am from Kentucky and have been a long time browser on this site I have learned alot from the discussions mostly regarding archery deer hunting. I was fortunate to draw archery bull tag and want to ask for advice on finding a place to hunt. I put in for LEA and voucher areas and was unable to get either. Guide prices are out of my price range. I am willing to put in the legwork just need access and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. kyduck1

kyduck1 8 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Time or money is the big issue you'll face. Spend more time scouting etc or pay for the guide to do it for you and have access to potential private ground. Get a map of the available areas and talk to the locals in the area. I would maybe concentrate on water sources in those areas just to get familiar with it. They range and roam a lot larger area than whitetail so be prepared for them to maybe be there one week and gone the next. If you can get around them during the rut you'll likely hear some bugles to get you acclimated to their locations. I would plan on spending 2-3 days per week scouting different areas pretty soon until the opener to have the best chances and options for hunting. Elk hunting in KY is getting tougher and tougher so put in your time.
    On a Personal note: You've hit the lottery man and many will never draw that tag in their lifetime really consider that with your choices. Good luck

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Bulls will move a long way around the first of September. Scout/glass the two weeks before opening weekend as much as possible. Good luck.