Building Farm Fishing Pond

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by 7mmx2, Apr 11, 2020.

1. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Looking for a 1/2 acre fishing pond. Any pointers? I have a contractor in mind with a great pond building reputation including digging our houses foundation. Does the state help with the construction costs or just the stocking of the pond? I've uploaded a rough sketch.
    Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Attached Files:

2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Make sure to put plenty of cover in it. Rip rap, laydowns, rootballs, brush piles, rock piles

FOWLER2671 and 7mmx2 like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What are you thinking in regards to a dock/swimming deck? Where is the source of your water? Creek? (I have some advice here regarding a small sediment catch pond but may not be applicable in your situation.) essentially you clean out your small catch pond every 10 years rather than having your pond fill up with sediment and have to drain and reclean. Neighbor’s pond is full of sediment and will need an expensive clean-out soon.

I also have a foot bridge that crosses the creek that feeds it. I will put in a 20 ft culvert and clay so i can drive a tractor or truck over it. The foot bridge sucks.
    Where is your overflow going to go? Overdo your overflow pipe size. I have 3 14 inch overflows and water has run over my dam 3 times in 5 years. Neighbor put in a 24 inch single, told him to double it and his overflowed and caused significant dam damage that required trucking in clay and a large excavator. They also ruined the pipe while fixing the erosion around the first pipe and had to pay to replace with ANOTHER SINGLE RUN.

I have two large hills and a steep ravine that feeds mine 1 acre (as i think you know) so my water flow may be significantly more than yours but plan for 2 weeks of straight hard rain.

Jones fish hatchery services our area if KDFWR stopped stocking new ponds for free (they might have)
    Jones fish Hatcheries & Distributors, Inc. Chris Kirk
    3433 Church Street
    Newtown, OH 45244
    (513) 561-2615

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Also what is this?
    Pergola, or deck floor joists?
    77E95EF2-8EE5-44D8-BEC3-97D08E03C60F.jpeg

5. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Seems I heard that if you have the state stock it you have to allow "anyone" to fish it.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Not true.

7mmx2 likes this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Add as much bank irregularities as you can... Points, pockets, etc.... leave as many stumps and trees as you can too....

7mmx2 likes this.
  8. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Thanks for the info, hope your all doing well. I'll be honest I haven't thought much about the dock but need to. I'm just ready for the kids to be able to wet a line like I did as a kid LOL. The area were putting it our hillside will fill it with it's runoff. The multiple pipes are a great idea, excavator mentioned building the damn to where you can drive across it. It all sounds good in theory but not having a clear picture makes it cloudy haha. Currently the runoff makes it's way out to road crossing pipe feeding a creek crossing over and down to route 10. Jones fish hatchery is a great place, we used them about 10 years ago for my in laws farm pond in Camp Springs. You stocked Talapia, right?

9. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Pergola from old home owners.

carnivore likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Yes. They all die in the fall but grow at a crazy rate. The ones you dont catch will get stunned for a couple days before dying and you can dip them out. I only did it twice, may try again. They all started floating the day i was leaving for an elk hunt. Cleaning 250 huge talapia delayed me several hours.

If it will help you feel free to look around at my pond anytime you want, my existing dock is a great example of what not to do. I have 3 different neighbors with ponds that would let us have a look at theirs too. Maybe give you some different ideas. Just let me know and get confirmation so my wife/kids dont open fire on you. They've been cooped up lol. I may send you some pictures too if you have specific questions. At this point good clay and a knowledgeable excavation crew is most important.

7mmx2 likes this.