Buddy had a “negligent discharge” Be Safe

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Little FR, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Little FR

Little FR 6 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    My hunting friend, he’s a big time hunter and we go together a lot. Mostly he bow hunts but is familiar with firearms and firearm safety.

he was setting up his climbing stand before he unloaded rifle, he was going to unload and pull it up tree with rope. At some point his gloves or brush hit his safety. As he laid it down by tree a branch hit trigger.

he’s pretty much completely deaf but is ok. It was pointed away. Dumped a .243 slug into tree. Thankfully not into air or at another hunter, housing area etc.

Also my neighbor had a SXS accident and died this week headed back to stand. Very tragic. Words can’t describe what I feel for his family.

This is something we love to do. Enjoy it. Please be safe. Let’s all get home to our families. Drive slow and mind your safeties and muzzle. God Bless.

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    It happens! It could happen to anyone. In my youth I had my Dad’s old single shot shotgun out once and was “playing” with the trigger and hammer when it discharged at my feet, talk about a wakeup call. Please be careful out there. Never had a problem with my SXS but flipped my 4 Wheeler backwards twice and turned it on its side once. Luckily I wasn’t hurt.

Dark Cloud and Little FR like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Sorry
    To hear about the loss of your friend

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Very sorry about your friend.

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Sorry to hear bout your friend! Prayers up.

6. Little FR

Little FR 6 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    My friend is ok, he’s in a deer stand right now.
    The fellow the wrecked the sxs is deceased. I did not know him really well but he left a family behind. My dad and brother did know him well.

7. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    A guy I worked with about 20 years ago just had bought 15 acres. He said he had hunted squirrels as a kid but wanted to learn how to deer hunt. He told me if I gave him so pointer and hunted with him I could use the property any time I wanted.
    The first morning we meet up we where getting ready at his truck. I was standing on the passenger side with the door closed . He was bent over the front seat getting his rifle ready. It was a 30/30 I heard the action rack and the cozy wing glass explode and shatter all over me. Crazy thing was I never heard the gun go off.
    Never hunted that morning or any other time on that land.

Feedman, barney and Little FR like this.
  8. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Had a buddy shoot the webbing out of his glove between the thumb and index finger with a Hawkins style 50 caliber muzzleloader. He was using the gun as a prop to climb over a fallen log when the hammer snagged on something and snapped back on the cap, his hand was partially capped over the wrong end of the gun. He came back to camp, his face white as a sheet and covered with burnt powder...and deaf.

Little FR likes this.
  9. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Did the exact same thing with dad's 410 when I was about 12. Right between my feet. It had a half cock. Messing with the trigger, boom. Gained a whole new respect for firearms that day.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My buddy at about the same age had his .410 barrel resting on top of his foot just behind his toes as he messed with the hammer while he was waiting on a rabbit to circle back. The discharge made a .410 diameter hole all the way through his boot.

Little FR and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    i knew a boy that took his girlfriend rabbit hunting around a corn stubble field. The dogs were bringing a rabbit around, so she cocked the hammer back on a single shot .410. The rabbit failed to come by. She did not know how to let the hammer back down. As she was walking towards the boyfriend, she tripped on the corn stubble. As she fell, the gun barrel landed right on the top of his foot and went off. The shot, wad, and all made a perfect hole through the boot and his foot.

Dark Cloud, barney and Little FR like this.
  12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I was letting the hammer down on a model 48 H&R when I was a kid. Thought I saw a squirrel but it was a wood hen. Those old guns didnt have a transfer bar safety, The hammer slipped out of my thumb while I was letting it down, whooommmm!! gun flew several yards out of my hands behind me. Hammer gashed my hand some as it flew out. Scared the tinkle out of me..

13. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    When I was 12 I had went out to feed the calves before dad got in from work. I found a possum in the calf’s trough. I decided I’d shoot it. I ran in the house. Grabbed my old H&R 12ga and headed back to the barn. As I was getting ready to shoot I realized I was about to make a mess out of the trough and decided better of it. Let the hammer down and stepped backwards to think of a better plan. When I did, I tripped over a frozen cow patty. This caused me to fall up against one of the gates and the hammer hung on the top rail. BOOM!!! Blowed a perfect 1” hole in the roof. Scared the shit out of me. It didn’t have the transfer safety bar, so there was nothing to stop it from going off.

14. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Knock on wood, I've never had an accidental discharge. Been toting a gun in the woods since I was 6 and I'm 31 now. Guns scare me so I tend to be extra vigilant in my efforts to remain safe, but you truly never know. Weird shit happens all the time.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I think I’ve told this story on here before but it’s been sometime ago…my brother had a 44 mag fall out of a shoulder holster and go off when it hit the floor of the apartment he was living in with his 1st wife. Bullet hit the leg of an old stereo stand and split into pieces. Would have killed him if this didn’t happen. Fragments hit him in the face and the majority blew a hole in the ceiling and wall. He didn’t know how bad he was hit and blood was pouring from his face. They didn’t live far from a hospital but his wife was too tore up to drive. He had to drive himself with a big bloody towel over everything but one eye. LOL.