Bucks move in the rain

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cornpile, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    just at 4 behind the house in a pouring rain,about 500 yard photo
    _MG_4806.JPG _MG_4816.JPG

2. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    South Central, KY
    I went to lunch today at noon in Jefferson County...Jtown in fact..saw 4 bucks pushing a doe all over a field..one was at least a 140+

xbokilla likes this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

One of the largest bucks I seen in Indiana was crossing a weed field during a frog drowning downpour one afternoon with me hunkered down trying to out wait it on my way to my favorite tree to hunt from with my old Baker treestand over my head to ward off the rain and bow laying on the ground beside me.

4. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Before the farm I hunted on sold a few years ago.... My favorite set up was a blind up on top of a platform on a set of scaffolding on a pond dam overlooking several grown up fields in the rain!!! I killed a really nice buck one morning while it was pouring. Had to wait over an hour for the rain to slow down to go check him out. This farm was also across the rolling fork river which was rising due to the rain.. Made for an adventure driving through it on the way out. Hunted that set every time it rained during rifle season.

5. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    I hunt every rainy day. period. Ive killed just as many good deer in the rain / foul weather as I have on an "ideal" day. Even killed one during a lightning storm. During the post rut.

6. bonecollector07

bonecollector07 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2011
    Greensburg Ky
    The biggest buck I ever seen was making a scrape in front of my brothers house in a rain storm about 4 years ago.

7. sgjager

sgjager Spike

Oct 25, 2010
    Harned Ky
    My father told me along time ago, that the rain is your best friend during the pre rut and rut. everything is wet and every doe that is in pre estrous and estrous will leave their sent everywhere they walk and the bucks will follow that scent trail.

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I hear what you are all saying about the rain possibly increasing the chances for that elusive big one and I am in the camp of believing that is true. However, I can't convince myself to bow hunt in the rain due to the increased potential of losing the blood trail and thus losing that deer. I have and will continue to gun hunt in a rain due to the better odds of that animal dying within sight.

1wildcatfan, invasion36 and BNewNKY46 like this.