Bucket list fish!--Smallie, achieved

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kyhunter99, Aug 16, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Went out with the husband last night to a creek i got permission to fish (not good for cats im afraid) and ran back to a medium sized fish hole.
    Very first cast into it snatched up a 8.5" smallie! Ended up getting 4 smallie, 1 very fat 7ish" largemouth, several greenears.
    I have to say that was some very fun fast fishing!
    Is it just me or are smallies extra wiggly compared to other fish? They fight pretty good though

aceoky likes this.
  2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Smallmouth are a blast to catch. Ky bass are right up there with them.

aceoky and drakeshooter like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yes, them brown fish are fighters. Love catching spots. They are very acrobatic. Congrats. 7ish largemouth in creek is amazing. Bravo.

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. “Husband”. Wow I thought you were a dude for some reason.

5. My favorite, all others are just trash fish lol. I’ve caught over a hundred over 5 pounds with several 5-14s and 5-15s (and have the absolutely destroyed spinnerbaits to prove it) but have never broken the 6 pound barrier.
    7CFE7477-16D0-4F6A-B383-28C9AE178DC1.png

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's impressive! We used to catch some nice ones at Cumberland, but not sure any would've gone over 5lb.

xbokilla and drakeshooter like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Nice! I fished Dale Hollow and Center Hill a lot in my younger days. I never got a 6 out of either lake. Both of my 6+ smallies came from Kentucky lake.

8. All of my smalljaws are from Kentucky Lake.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Love me some creek wading for brown fish. For future reference if u get back to a spot, concentrate on the small pools at the ends of shoals. They tend to stack in those spots waiting to ambush prey getting washed down. I throw all sorts of things but my go to baits are 4 inch pearl flukes, black helgremites on a jig head, or a small pop r of some type. Keep at it and keep the stories coming!!

kyhunter99 likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang.... Both of my 6+ smallies were caught in mid-late September, in 3-4 feet of water, on stumps on the river channel flipping/pitching. When there is current, they get behind those stumps to ambush.....

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. Only smallies I’ve ever caught in shallow water on Kentucky were after dark on slow-rolled spinnerbaits with pork chunks/rattles and top water early and late in summer. All the rest during day were fairly deep. I’ll have to try that.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If there is current, they are there. Late September, the water is generally low. I haven't been down there in 20 years. Coming out of Jones creek, straight across the channel on the West side, there used to be a bunch of stumps and logs. Caught the bejeebers out of fish over there when they were pulling. Current stops, no fish. Got a 6+ smallie, and a 7+ largemouth within 20 minutes of each other one morning.....

xbokilla, kyhunter99 and RLWEBB like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    That was a good day!

bgkyarcher likes this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Very nice. My favorite fish as well. Sounds like you need to head north.

15. Yeah I used to toe dig that flat you’re talking for mussels in the early 90s, a couple foundations on it too. We’d wear the smallies out on it at night especially in spring and fall. The smallie I’m holding came off the main lake drop off side of that flat, Carolina rigging a lizard. I’ve probably caught 90% of my smallmouth between blood river and turkey bay, both sides.

bgkyarcher and barney like this.