Buck Scoring

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Dec 5, 2019.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    That did it. It ran along our bottom fields, flowing to and from other farms, whatever it technically may happen to be, and I never once saw a deer playing with the cattle, nor anything else on it.

2. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Lol, i was responding to grago.

3. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    A lot of creek creatures are nocturnal and only come out at night probably why you didnt see anything

kyhunter99 likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Makes me think of the lockness monster. I do not know, we never lived on the farm, but I imagine the deer preferred elsewhere, being that we cleared the majority for cattle. We did have one or more fox dens, in the naturalized sections, up on a steep hill with many boulders, but they were quite sneaky, rarely seen.

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I know several that are like that and I’m one myself. I have a caribou and a whitetail that would make b&c and about 7 deer and a few antelope that would make p&y. Had my first done about 25 yrs ago and not entered one since. Gave them a fee just so my name was in a book. I don’t need to see my name in a book to feel good about myself or my deer. I just go look at it mounted on the wall. I’ll post a pic on this site at times of a deer and that’s it. I’m not a Facebook person either. Some people just don’t like pounding their chest about their deer. Hunting buddy of mine is an official scorer. He asked me every year why I don’t enter them. One day I might but I’m good with not doing it.

Brody, elmucho277, OLE RASPY and 2 others like this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I can personally relate to that.

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Well I haven’t never killed a booner. 142” gross is biggest.
    But I’d be the same as some. I don’t care to enter nothing. I’m not wasting my money on that.
    Just like turkey. I’ve killed my royal slam and fixin to in 2021 complete my world slam but you can’t find it on NWTF website. I can find it on my wall though. :D

Nock, littlebear and HuntressOfLight like this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Well, although I have noticed the term, "Booner" being tossed around here and there, your usage of it caused me to issue a query, for definition, and this was one of the first fetched results (old article):

https://www.bowhunter.com/editorial/vantage-point-how-important-is-a-bucks-gross-score/183228

9. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thats a good read Huntress thats pretty much what i was trying to say at the begining of this thread not its all that big of a deal i was just trying to figure out how some people are calling booners out of the bucks they had Now i know

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Well, personally, I fail to understand why anyone would want to kill anything as pretty as the one within that photograph, because I would prefer seeing it walking throughout the forest and continuing to mate, making more just like it. Why not kill smaller, ugly bucks, instead?

11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    What does it cost now to get one "officially" scored? How many official scorers across the state? Seems like a hassle many people wouldn't want to go through. On the wall or walking through the woods any deer hunter knows what a trophy looks like, whether it nets 159 or 259. Plus I hear nets are for fishing anyways ;)

12. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’ve always been told a pond is an acre or less

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Let me ask a ?
    What’s more impressive to you?
    A 200” non typical or a 180” typical? And which do you think is more rare?

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    IMO it's a lake if you can run an outboard on it.

theprofessor likes this.