Buck Scoring

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    First let me say im not complaining or Griping in any way, i have noticed that what a buck scores is a different opinion in peoples minds, i know that B&C now has an awards entry at 160 typical, thats what im discussing here Typical whitetail, i have also found that for the most part when someone tells you what a buck scores for the most part these days are giving it everything it has , with no deductions. Example to me a B&C buck is a 170 or better after deductions But i had a friend tell me he killed another Booner, what i have found out is since the 160 award score qualifys a buck for that and it has to score that with deductions but some people are giving their buck everything it has and calling it a booner. Example buck scores 161 with no deductions dosent make the book with deductions so a 161 with 9 inches of deduction becomes a true 152 which is a longways from a true 170 But if you say what does it score after deductions they say oh i dont know they should score them with amount of bone inches anyway .
    Which brings me to another point Buckmasters does give it a true inches of bone score, then thats the official score but will go back and add the spread at the bottom of the sheet . But the guys that thinks it should be scored for just the amount of bone inches arent going to give you just bone inch score they are going to add the spread. Or at least i never had anyone say a deer will score so and so with out the spread i am proud for anyone that kills any buck they are proud of i have killed several i was proud of that wouldnt much i just was trying to figure out where all these booners i hear about come to be when you cant find their name in the book anywhere .Like i said not taking anything away from anybody or any buck I will show you how confusing it can be im going to use my buck as an example , i put the buckmaster score sheet here again not trying to brag or take anything away from anyone or any buck My buck scored 185 before deductions B&C went in the book officially at 175 3/8 Buckmaster score was 169 just bone , then add the spread 191 , you can see that at the bottom of the score sheet so i guess i could say he scored 191 since he was officially scored at that But if you officially look at the B&C book its 175 3/8 i guess my point is that when most people say what a deer scored these days it is giving it everything its got or most of the people i know do anyway which is fine

Attached Files:

2. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Off topic but at what point does a typical become a nontypical when it has irregular points?

3. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I always say b&c gross score before I say what it scored.

4. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    This comes from an official scorer 170 is min typical 195 is min nontypical if a buck has enough abnormal points to knock it out typical but with everything added it is over 195 it lets you in as non typical but if it scores over 195 either way then you can declare it either way

5. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    To me you should measure them by volume how much volume does the buck have dunk it water and see how big it is, always been my feelings, as for deductioins, how dumb, why count off for a bigger rack on one side than the other?

6. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    It dosent make much sense coach&hunt always wondered that myself Buckmasters dont deduct i was just thinking about all these b&c i hear about but some arent even close a 170 typical after deductuons are not just standing behind any tree I think a person should just be proud of what they got I just posted this because it seems when someone tells you what a buck scores you still have no idea I have seen some bucks i thought would score a lot more than did

rockhousehunter likes this.
  7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    The only thing with water displacement is if there is a difference in antler density. Which sounds like there probably is such a thing. And if that variation occurs between animals and seasons.
    It would throw the book off year to year.

But youd think there would be a way to use photogrammetry and calculate exact surface area. I think thats a feesable way to score.

8. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Lots of bucks out there that would make b/c and p/y that guys never officially enter. Just because it’s not in the record buck doesn’t mean a guy doesn’t have one on the wall.

Huntin' Fool and HuntressOfLight like this.
  9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

How would it displace more or less water. I wouldn’t think it would matter if the horns were made of granite or a hollow plastic shell. Not trying to be a smart butt so please enlighten me if I’m wrong I’m just thinking out loud

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Not sure. It just came to mind that people use water displacement as a way to measure fat content accurately.
    Because fat is a different density or bouyancy than the lean mass of a body.. cant remember. But thats how they do it. So i had the question i guess if there was something similar with an antler. But i guess bone is bone.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Why do you believe many hunters could not care less about publicly disclosing such?

12. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Littlebear im sure you are correct i personally dont know anyone that has one that they didnt enter, i know of a buck that they say will score 180 that is not going to make B&C but will always in the minds of ones that dont know any better, will always be a 180 , point is if i went to their house and didnt know any better they told me 180 and i go looking for it in the book its not there. I think subtracting any points should not be . But i didnt write the rules Now with all that being said that does not make any buck any less and anyone should be proud of what they get . I have seen guys with spikes that were tickled to death and i always congratulated them. Because that spike probably meant as much to them as a decent 10 point to someone else. The bottom line is a trophy is what he means to the person that killed it. I killed a 4 point years ago with a bow i was tickled to death with just wasnt many bucks around back then, , a friend told me where he seen it and i could hunt there, i walked and walked then went up a mountain saw first trip didnt get him second trip i did and was as proud as a person could be. My whole point to this thread is when a person tells you what a deer scores anymore could be anything depending on how it was scored . Dosent really matter anyway they should just be proud of it , I have seen around here scoring with no deductions , has become the norm , i have come to the point when someone says, did you see so and so buck i say yeah , they say what did it score i say i have no idea was a big azz buck that i would be tickled to death with

kyhunter99 likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Whichever gives you the best score, meaning you could have a 200" that includes a lot of "extras" or nontyp points. If it's a 10 point typ frame and u deduct all the extras and nonsymetrical, your net typ score would be diddley. Your net nontyp score would be much higher. There's racks that could be entered as either, due to the net score exceeds both typ and nontyp minimum. You would then have to make a choice on how u want the deer entered into the book.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    A buck would only be a "booner" if the net score exceeds one of their minimum scores and scored by an official measurer. Calling a gross 173" deer, that has several inches of deductions that takes it below 160, a booner is someone stroking their own ego.

15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’d rather kill a deer that grosses 183 and nets 159 than a deer that grossed 170 and nets 161