Buck or doe tracks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by therookie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    There is no way to really tell for sure. You can speculate but if you see a track unless you seen the deer standing in it like said already there no real proof of a guess. Lots of factors play in like softness of the ground how long its been there and ect. For example a 90lb do walks out in to a fresh plowed field after a hard rain her hoofs will sink in and might look huge with Dew claw prints. Someone could walk by afterwards and say man those are big tracks but really its just a 90lb doe. No way in telling for sure without seeing jmo....

2. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    I had to actually take a guy when I was in college to the deer they used to have penned up at LBL and show him this after a much heated debated over a camp fire one night. After standing on one side of a fence and a buck and doe standing on the other he realized NO you can't tell what type of sex it is. You can tell a lot about a track running, walking, heavy, light, ect..

3. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    A buck track is hook shaped.... wait a minute... I was getting that confused with gobbler turds..

4. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    i think the wider the track the more out you have a mature deer track ,not sayen its buck or doe . Lay your four fingers inside a track i tend to think mature deer. Now it will be argued what type of ground its in how big is your hand an some deer like humans have bigger feet than others i can only imagine .Common sense is the best tool here.

5. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Where is Z7 to chime in when we need the wisdom of a deer killing machine?

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I'd say his momma is tucking him in.... It is nine o'clock.

7. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

She lets him stay up until ten o'clock in sempt.

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Lmao! He's probably editing his next bone head story.

9. mustangfreak03

mustangfreak03 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2008
    OCowHiny
    I was thinking the same thing when on a earlier post somebody said they knew a guy that could tell the age, sex how big the antlers where by a print. LOL I just knew Z7 would have been the next reply..... LOL

10. Teleman2012

Teleman2012 Fawn

Jul 23, 2012
    Jackhorn, Ky
    I know for a fact that Bucks poop in clumps and have dew claws!!!! sarcasm :)

11. tarsal

tarsal Spike

Aug 24, 2012
    there is one study that was conducted by one of the magazines I was reading a couple of years ago and the results were this....From front of the hoof to the back of the dew claw, no doe print was ever measured over 5 inches long..so, with that said, if you encounter one over that length, it seems you would at least know you've encountered a buck track..... I would say it depends on the terrain, climate, weather, soil conditions, etc...Hope this helps.....

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    There's no way to know for sure whether a particular set of prints is a buck or a doe, but I think there are some things to look that can allow a hunter to make an educated guess: (a) Size of the Print: As a general proposition, the bigger the print the more likely it was made by a buck. If you saw a Size 17 basketball high-top, you couldn't say conclusively if it belonged to a man or a woman, but logic would suggest that it belonged to a man (or PhilipFleek's ex-wife :) ). Similarly, I can't tell whether fawn prints are buck or does, but I can damned sure tell they are fawn prints; (b) Depth of Impression: All things being equal, a deeper imprint (and prominent dew claw marks) indicates a heavier animal, which in turn suggests the likelihood of being a buck. This one is probably a lot less reliable, IMO. How many times have you been out walking with a fellow hunter when he spots dew marks in a hoof print, and immediately announce that it's a buck? The problem is that the prints are often several days old (at least), and there is nothing to compare it against to know how soft the ground was when the print was left or how deep other tracks were. A 150 lb doe will leave dew marks in soft mud just the same as a 300 lb buck in thicker, less wet mud; and (c) It's not really a "make the call by looking at a hoof print" thing, but if you can follow the deer's travel pattern, you can make usually determine whether it's a buck or a doe. The guys that hunt whitetails in the snow up in places like Maine rely on both the travel patterns of the deer, as well as the hoof size, to determine whether the animal is a buck or a doe and deciding whether to pursue it.

I believe it's entirely possible for the right tracker to get their buck/doe evaluation right about 75% of the time. When I was over in Africa, the trackers there were absolutely amazing. They could look at the prints of a pride of lions and tell you the pride make-up with virtually 100%. I'm talking "3 males, 8 lionesses, and 3 cubs" kind of evaluation. They could also distinguish between Impala buck and doe prints with ease. Same with cape buffalo. Hell, they could see where a snake had passed and tell you what kind of snake was there. Granted, the sandy African soil and dry conditions made the ground a lot more consistent and the tracks a lot more visible, but I was amazed that they seemed to get it right every single time.

IMO, most American hunters, myself included, aren't capable of correctly analyzing the vast majority hoof prints of whitetail deer here in America. Putting aside the occasional, unmistakably gigantic hoof print in the ground that would most likely indicate a buck, most hunters are just talking out their bottom holes when they see the average print and say "that's a buck" or "that's a doe".

13. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Oh yeah, well tell that to [email protected]$% [email protected]%$*^& in Illinois! He'll tell you different, he knows cause he said so!

14. tarsal

tarsal Spike

Aug 24, 2012
    It depends on the terrain, climate, weather, soil conditions, etc. the etc part was---weight of the animal, freshness of the track, running or walking, and the list goes on and on....

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I can tell the difference between a bobcat and a mountian lion.