Broadheads

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by forked G2, Aug 25, 2014.

1. forked G2

forked G2 Fawn

Sep 21, 2009
    kentucky
    I'm thinking about switching from rage to something else. Fixed or mechanical? Which do y'all shoot and why?

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Cant beat a Slick Trick. Truest flying fixed blade Ive ever shot..better than Muzzy and I shot muzzys for a long time.

3. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    What he said. I really like the tricks. And RamCats fly amazingly well for such a large head. I'm currently using the RamCats.

4. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    I love the 4blade 100gr muzzys but also heard a lot of good things out of a slick trick.

5. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Slick Tricks are my favorite head (100 grain magnum), but I have shot a few mechanicals and by far my favorite is the Grim Reapers. They don't lie when they say "watch em drop"

6. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    I'll add that I filmed a friend of mine take a opening day 10 point 2 years ago. He used a 100 grain Swhacker and it was devastating. Good luck!

7. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    Slick trick all the way!! I too shot rage broadheads and made the switch back during spring for a hog hunt and it done great. And flew like a dart
    .. ill definitely shoot them this season.

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I'm not a fan of mechanicals at all. I shoot a Magnus Buzzcut because they fly great, tough head, and a lifetime warranty no matter what. I can shoot it into a brick wall and send it back and they will send a brand new one at no cost. I shot Muzzy for a long time but seems they are just not as sharp as they once was.

9. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Slick tricks are tough and fly great with my setup.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I switched to Slick Tricks this year, and amazed at how well they fly compared to t Muzzy 3-blades. I'm also amazed that after well over a 100 shots a piece into a Rhinehart target, they are still relatively sharp. I'll still replace the blades prior to hunting with them, but I'm almost shocked that they are still in that good of condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. kison

kison BBBC Members

Sep 27, 2002
    Nicholasville
    For fixed blades, G5 strikers or slick trick magnums. Mechanicals, so long as you are hunting a heavier arrow and getting plenty of energy, love the rocket steelheads, especially the old school four blade models with the steel ferrules. Most of todays heads are pretty dang good and you have so many choices. Find what you are comfortable with and go hunting.

12. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I have been shooting Rocket Steelheads for years and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have killed a bunch of deer with them and they have put them down fast. I don't know what else I can ask for from a broadhead.

13. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I shoot same thing! Steelhead 100. Great exit wound an fly like darts.

14. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Rocket hammerhead 2"cut 3 blade over the top. Devastating wound channel. Dependable? Just Change the rubberBands every year and forget about it. Accurate ? I harvested a doe last year at 74 yards!

But I saw a head the other day called velocity beast I wish u would buy those and tell me how they worked .
    They are 4blade 2" cut so it would be like two rages in the shape of a cross goin threw at one time.
    By the way congrats for getting away from rage. I'm sure they are fine but I'm not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    I thought the Velocity Beast was a X-bow head. Still pretty crazy looking though haha.