Bringing an old shotgun back to life

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by chadwimc, Mar 20, 2020.

1. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Well, shoot! Good and bad. I figured out why the previous owner had it put away as a project. Somewhere along the line, a family member had damaged the barrel. My late friend's widow seemed to remember something about a brother "...Shooting the choke out of it..." But she is not a gun person so who knows what the original damage was. Its marked "FULL" on the barrel. Measuring it didn't confirm that. I think my friend may have chopped the barrel by about two inches to remove whatever damage there was. The barrel still wasn't round. So I measured it six ways from Sunday and came up with the spot to cut that would leave plenty of length yet get passed the obvious not round part of the barrel. I have some Alumahyde ll around here somewheres. Or maybe I need to get some more Ceracote...

Either way, its a functional work horse of a shotgun. It would be a good beater/shooter/truck gun...

'Til we meet again, Carl...
    carls gun8.jpg

carls gun7.jpg

carls gun10.jpg

2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    My buddies dad has a 12ga mossberg bolt action. He uses that thing pheasant hunting every time out and you can't hardly shoot your pump fast as he can shoot that thing. And he drops some birds a ways out there!!!

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s awesome. The marlin 55 I grew up on was as smooth and natural as any bolt action I’ve used. It’s a shame the magazine was broken and my dad refused to replace it. I would love to know how it functioned fully loaded. The poly choke would provide immediate adjustment if desired. Now I shoot a Remington 870 super mag. There’s no way I could cycle that bolt action as quick as I do my pump. But I’m a light weight. I would wager I can shoot my pump nearly as quick as my buddies with their high dollar benelli semi autos. Maybe not thought. Hell I don’t know. Bolt action shotguns are cool as shit even if I don’t fully understand them.

4. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Not sure it would be a favorite bird gun but I got an old .410 Stevens tube feed bolt action that's rock solid. Love that thing,......found it about 10 years ago at the gun shop. It's perfect for squirrels and rabbits and a do all criitter gitter yard gun.........nice job BTW.

Winchester94, barney and EdLongshanks like this.
  5. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Took it out today. It shoots as designed...:)

jblack1 likes this.